Chapter 85

Margaret

We were driving for less than five minutes, but it felt like an eternity.

Maryam was put on a stretcher and carried inside the operating room.

No matter how much I protested, they didn't allow me to go in, because she was in a critical state, and needed an operation.

I started pacing around the hall, and Ace put his hand on my shoulder, and without thinking, I rushed and hugged him.

I cried as bitterly as that night that I lost her.

An hour passed, and the doctor went outside.

"Doctor....Please... " I pleaded, prayed to him, to whoever was listening.

"Patient is currently in a coma, but stable. The next 24 hours are critical. "

Not quite relieved as I wanted to be, but still felt like some weight was taken off my shoulders.

"There is something you also should be aware of. " Doctor continued.

"Maryam might never walk again. "

"What? " Ace said.

"Let me explain. We do have spine reconstructive surgeries in place, and we do have artificial ways of connecting the nerves, even if they are broken apart deeply. However, the human body might reject them. But what's a given is if she does pull through, there will be a considerable period where she will have to learn how to walk again. "

"I see... Thank you, doctor. " Ace thanked him.

"Can I see her, please? "

"Not for another two hours at least, we are still doing some checkups. We will notify you. "

I nodded and I sat in the chair, Ace sitting down next to me.