Chapter 11: All Nighters&Ice Cream

Kian:

It's only one day before finals and I've never been more stressed. It's junior year, and each year the complicity level gets higher and higher on the exams. I stare down at my book. My brain feels like it has turned to mush. I close my eyes for a brief second. I haven't slept in two days, due to studying. Jc doesn't know. I haven't told anyone. It's not a big deal, anyways. I take off my glasses, getting a headache, looking around the library, where Jc and I have been studying the past two hours.

"Is anything wrong, babe? You've been acting super stressed and exhausted." Jc asks me, in a concerned whisper. He sets down his book and leans in closer to me.

"Yeah...No...What? Is the room spinning?" I start getting light headed. I fall against Jc's shoulder, exhausted. I really need to sleep, but I need to pass my finals, more.

"Kian!" Jc says in shock. For what seems like a few seconds, everything is black. I feel light, there's nothing that can touch me. Then, I suddenly wake up to Jc saying my name. I look around, and we're no longer in the library, but in the car.

"What the heck happened?" I ask in shock. I don't remember anything but falling against him. It was now dark outside, and the car is parked outside of my house. I feel Jc grab my shoulders and my attention turned towards him.

"You fainted! You just passed out on top of me. What's going on, Kian?" Jc asks me, his voice raising. I look down. I get what's going on. I just don't want him to find out. He'd be so mad...

"Kian, look at me," Jc tells me in a stern voice. I'm terrified, what if he figures out? He can't know, he's always going on about me getting enough sleep. I'm just not used to people caring. My parents would rather have me pulling all nighters, studying, than getting enough sleep. I'm used to it, but I've never fainted before. I guess the stress on top of no sleep pushed it over the edge. I pushed myself too far.

"Nothing, just stress from finals..." I tell him, looking away. He can always notice when I lie to him. I just don't understand how Jc is always so chilled out about tests and exams and finals. Isn't he terrified? What if he fails? He has so much more confidence than me. It must be nice, to believe in yourself, that you can do anything, even if you can't.

"No, it's something more. I can tell. I know you, Kian. Don't even try hiding anything from me," Jc's voice keeps raising, and I'm scared he'll start screaming. Tears start building up and a lump forms in my throat. Good thing it's dark out. I can barely see Jc. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"I...haven't slept in two days," I say, so softly that I don't think he even heard me. I close my eyes as the silence wraps around me. I can only hear Jc's breathing. He's trying to figure out how to react to this, I can tell.

"Why...Why would you do that?" Jc asks. His voice is quiet and holds no emotion, which scares me more than when he yells. A tear slips from my eyes. I don't know if I'm crying from stress or because Jc sounds so disappointed in me. I don't move.

"I need to pass the finals..I don't have the confidence that you do." I swallow, keeping my eyes shut tightly. I feel Jc's rough hand caressing my cheek. I open my eyes and more tears trickle down my face, landing on his hand. He swipes his thumb over my tears, and a thousand butterflies start flittering in my stomach. Even though I know he's disappointed, or mad, or confused, my feelings for him stay the same.

"Kian, I just don't want you hurt, I want you to take care of yourself. I want to take care of you. I didn't have anyone to take care of me, and I wanna make sure you have someone to take care of you. I... I love you." Jc is now so close to me, and I have to catch my breath when he says he loves me. No one has ever said that to me before. I mean, sure, my parents, but this is different. These feelings that I have for him, they are stronger than anything I've ever felt. I can't control them, but I don't want them to stop.

"I love you, too." I tell Jc, and he takes a deep breath and kisses me. It's not a hot, needy kiss. It's soft and sweet. Just to show our affection for each other. He pulls away and smiles at me, and I smile at him. It's quiet, but this silence is not like before. Not the tense silence, where I feel like it's going to swallow me up. No, this silence is different. It feels nice, and sweet, and soft, like the kiss.

"Let's get you home, and promise me, you'll get some sleep?" Jc tells me, climbing back into the driver seat. I look at him. I'm so lucky. I don't know what I'd do without him.

"I promise."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jc:

Two minutes. Two more minutes of my last final, and school is out, and summer vacation starts. Kian and I have so many plans for this summer. I'm restless, and I don't even care about finishing this test. I look down at the paper, realizing I have one question left. I'm surprised, usually I'm only have way done with my test. I guess Kian is rubbing off on me. I write down an answer quickly, and two seconds later, the bell rings.

"Pencils down!" The teacher yells. I set my pencil down, and lean back in my chair, looking over at Kian. He had finished with ten minutes left to spare. He looks better, healthier. I can tell he's been sleeping, finally. I was upset at first when I found out he had been pulling all nighters to study, but yelling at him wasn't going to help. I know I can lose my temper. I think I was more upset with myself, though, for not noticing. I'm his boyfriend, I'm supposed to know him better than anyone else. We've been dating for a few months now, and I should've realized something was up.

Everyone gets up, heading to the door to grab their stuff and go do crazy things and celebrate the school year being over. The first thing I do when I get up is go to Kian and hug him. He looks relived that it's all over. He looks healthier, and I can tell he's been sleeping, which makes me happy. I wrap my arms around his waist as we walk to his locker. "Wanna go get ice cream to celebrate?" I ask Kian, and he excitedly nods his head, quickly getting his stuff and runs out to my car. Kian loves his ice cream.

We get to Dairy Queen and Kian orders his regular cookie dough and I order strawberry. We sit down in a booth across from each other, and I can feel our legs touching, sending what feels like fire up my legs. I always have reactions like that when he touches me. It sounds painful, but trust me, I've never felt anything more enjoyable. We finish our ice cream and Kian races me to my car. Even though I'm usually faster, I was pretty tired, and Kian got there first. He stood there, sticking his tongue out at me, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"What now?" Kian asks, full of energy. Sugar makes him really hyper, but it's adorable. We get into the car and I turn on the ignition. "Uh, how about sleep?" I ask, laughing, but serious. I'm very tired, and we have a lot of things planned this week.

"Fine...But can we cuddle and watch Pretty Little Liars first?" Kian asks,p as I start driving to my house. For the past month we've been watching the show Pretty Little Liads, and we're both obsessed. And my mom is pretty lenient on letting Kian sleep over every so often. She just checks up on us a lot.

"Sure," I tell him, chuckling as Kian lets out a happy giggle. A few minutes later, I pull up into my driveway, giving Kian a sweet kiss on the lips. Kian smiles, responding back.

"I love you," I remind him. I feel like I don't say it enough, and he deserved to know.

"I love you, too." Kian says, smiling brightly. And with that, we run up into our room and start our marathon of Pretty Little Liars and cuddles.