Chapter 39: Adrenaline

The floorboards creaked under my feet as I slowly tiptoed downstairs. I found it hard to sleep tonight--probably because Jc wasn't here with me. I think I was too frightened to fall asleep...scared of the promise of a nightmare that would haunt me.

Careful not to make a noise, I entered the kitchen area, making my way to get a glass of water. As I waited for my water glass to fill, I jiggled out my legs and arms. My entire body felt on edge and restless.

Once my cup was filled with water, I stopped the water flow and then raised my cup to my lips to drink from it. My eyes wandered as I slowly drank, and when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, I nearly choked.

I coughed on my water, my heartbeat speeding up, barely being able to breathe. A human shaped shadow approached me, and my eyes widened as I took shaky steps backwards.

"Kian," The voice said, and my mouth gaped open in shock and fear. How did they know my name?

The lights flicked on, and the first thing I noticed was the head of curly, wild hair. My eyes sparkled in realization, and a smile spread across my face.

I rushed towards the shadow, jumped on him and wrapped my arms around him. "Jc!" I exclaimed, more happy than ever.

"Hey, babe," He chuckled at my eagerness, rubbing my back comfortingly. "What are you doing up so late?"

"I was...having trouble falling asleep," I explained, slightly embarrassed. Jc pulled back a little to look up at my face. A

"Was it the nightmares?" He asked hesitantly, searching my face for a trace of fear. I gave him a small nod as a reply, burying my face in the crook of his neck.

"Well, I have the perfect remedy for that," Jc said with a mischievous glint in his eye. "Connor and I have been sparking up some mischief." 

Jc held out a carton of eggs and a roll of toilet paper.

"You are such a child," I laughed under my breath, shaking my head at him.

"I am your child," Jc kissed my cheek, a soft smile on his face. Then, as if snapping out of a trance, the glint in his eye came back.

"So, want to join us?"

I considered my options. I could stay back, sitting in terror on my bed and wishing Jc were with me while he was out with some other attractive male--yes, I know he is only our friend, but still-- or I could join my two best friends and have a memorable night with my boyfriend.

"Count me in."

+++

I stuck my head out of the window as Jc sped through the deserted streets that were illuminated by streetlamps. Jc looked over at me with a small smirk on his face, making me blush.

"So, who is our first victim?" Connor asked from the back seat, trying to break up our intense eye connection.

"I hear Alfie lives around here..." Jc said under his breath, and my head immediately whipped to look at him.

"Jc, no," I said sternly, giving him a serious look.

"Don't worry, babe. I won't do anything," Jc assured me, taking my hand in his. I relaxed slightly, but still kept my eyes on him.

"We could do Ricky's house," Connor suggested, and we all shared a look. A look of understanding. I guess we found our target.

Jc parked about a block from Ricky's house, turning off all the lights. We set out our plan of exactly how long we would stay there, and who took what parts of the house. I had egging duty while Jc and Connor split the job of teepeeing. 

We sneaked out to the front of the house, and an eerie silence fell among us. Would we really do this? That silence broke once I threw the first egg at a window.

Both Jc and Connor gasped and gaped at me, before wicked smiles took over their faces. They started rapidly throwing toilet paper everywhere, as I pelted the house with eggs. It had been about a minute since we started, and we saw a light turn on from the upper stairs.

"Abort mission!" Jc whispered but said forcefully. I held tight to my carton of eggs and started to run as fast as I could. Jc, who was ahead of me, squatted slightly but still lagged forward. I didn't even need an explanation, I just knew what he implied. 

I hopped onto Jc's back and he sped down the street faster. I don't know how he did it with both of our weight, but he did. 

We got safely to the car, and Jc immediately took off. I looked back, but I don't think Ricky's family saw us. I settled back in my seat, my veins rushing with adrenaline, and my heart pounding almost out of my chest.

No one said anything, just taking in the moment of our glory.

I can't wait to see what else this night has in store.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

aslkjflkajdlfjsalkdjlsajdflsajkfdsalkjfdalsdkjf

this reminded me of paper towns...yeah.

Xoxo, Alli