the offer

A few rotations later...

Anakin's PoV.:

Since my return to my home planet I had been helping my stepfather and stepbrother Owen with the farm chores. We were busy on the farm until just before sunset. But this time I sensed something was different. 
My suspicions were confirmed when we finally arrived home and a Starfighter with republican livery was parked in front of our house. 
With a pounding heart, I tried to push back the thought of Ahsoka. Had she come back? Did she want to talk to me? 
My burgeoning hope was dashed when I entered the house and instead saw a man looking up who had just been talking to my mother. 
It was the same man who had spoken to Ahsoka after Ryd's arrest. He looked strangely familiar as if I had seen him before. His light jedi robe was different from the dark one Ahsoka wore. Instead he wore the same cloak which she had also worn at our first meeting in the bar. 
"Anakin, good to see you", the jedi greeted me kindly with a respectful nod.
Not knowing what to make of all this, I tilted my head in confusion.
The Jedi stood up and walked towards me. 
"Oh, I'm sorry. You probably don't remember but we've met before. Several years ago my master Qui-Gon Jinn took you to the Jedi Temple I was still his padawan at the time when we found you here. My name is Obi-Wan Kenobi", as he now enlightened me a light came on. Of course I remembered him. He was maybe 10 years older than me at the time. 
"Pleased to meet you, Master... Kenobi", I replied still confused as to why he was here. 
Then, without further ado my mother spoke up. "I'll leave you alone for once then," with those words she left as I took a seat at the table followed by Master Kenobi.
"So... let's get right to the point. What are you here for, Master Kenobi?", he waved off at first. 
"Oh, please just call me Obi-Wan", he took a sip of tea that my mother must have made for him earlier. Only then did he continue speaking. "I am here to make you an offer from the Jedi Order. The Order is offering you to join the jedi as.... a kind of advisor. In return we will do our best to teach you how to use the force", he explained seriously. 
I almost laughed out loud. At that time they thought I was too old to train as a Jedi and now I should play their advisor? This could only be a bad joke.
"Why does the Order need me as an advisor? After all, they didn't want to train me as a jedi back then either?", I asked directly and Obi-Wan took a deep breath. 
"You know why we couldn't train you as a jedi. But we were sure at the time that you could be the Chosen One and Ahsoka confirmed that theory for us again. At first she wasn't sure if you were a separatist spy or even a sith spy but we were able to rule that out after the last mission", the jedi explained calmly. 
That Ahsoka had mistaken me for a spy hurt me deeply. Had she actually thought I was playing a double game? As she had done?
Still, I was overcome with guilt because I had betrayed her in some way. Shortly after I returned to Tatooine droids had come here. They threatened to kill my family if I didn't tell them what had happened to Quinn Ryd who was leaving Coruscant on my ship. I had no choice but to tell them the truth. 
As my thoughts returned to Ahsoka, guilt changed to anger.
Disparagingly, I snorted as I thought about Ahsoka actually sending Obi-Wan to make the offer to me instead of coming herself. 
"If Ahsoka is indeed convinced that I am useful to the order as an advisor, why didn't she come here herself?", the direct challenge in my gaze did not seem to please the jedi. His features closed into an expressionless mask. Before he pulled back I caught a wave of anger and sadness from the force around him. 
"Ahsoka is currently indisposed and was unable to come herself", he tried to fob me off. 
Now the anger seemed to have a final grip on me. Never would I have thought that she was such a coward. That she couldn't even look me in the face. 
"Indisposed... Of course... You jedi were too cowardly even then to help my mother out of slavery. You would have let her die. Ahsoka is just as f...", Obi-Wan propped both hands on the tabletop and had jumped to his feet faster than I thought possible. 
"Don't you dare call her a coward", he spoke in a dangerously low voice. "She couldn't come here because she's been in a coma for a week now."
For a second Tatooine seemed to have stopped spinning around the two suns. Everything stood still as if someone had stopped time. 
"Whatever happened between you two, I don't care. I am here only on behalf of the council which trusts Ahsoka's judgment toward you. I am here in Ahsoka's place because I owe it to her, Skywalker", Obi-Wan's words snapped me out of my stupor and I rubbed my hands over my eyes as I tried to become master of my racing thoughts. 
My concern for Ahsoka outweighed all other feelings at that moment so I did what I did best and made a decision on very short notice that I would probably regret later. 
"I accept the council's offer."