I Don't Know If I Want to Write

We were sitting through dinner, and everything was going so well that I almost forgot about mine and Steve's conversation on the way to dinner. I was sitting at the table, and I felt Steve's hand on my leg and I sighed, at the same time I saw Pepper start to clear the table.

"Let me help you." I said getting up causing Steve to groan. Once I got to the kitchen Pepper looked at me.

"You and Steve okay? Seems a little tense." Pepper said and I groaned.

"Yeah, just a conversation we had on the way here that isn't sitting between us right." I said and she sighed.

"What conversation?" Pepper asked and I just shook my head.

"Nothing, it's fine. I'm sure I may have been overreacting..." I said and Pepper placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Sweetie, something you need to learn...woman never take blame for overreacting." She said and we laughed.

"What lies are you filling her head with Pepper?" Tony asked walking in the kitchen.

"That no matter what woman never take blame for overreacting." Pepper said and Tony sighed but nodded.

"She's right. Rogers say something stupid?" Tony asked and I just shook my head.

"No, he was just being truthful...I think." I said and they sighed as I walked back out to get more stuff from the table. I saw my dad helping my mom to the living room and I half smiled but felt tears fill my eyes.

My mom used to always be so strong and independent but now she depends on everyone for some help. Pepper came up behind me watching and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"She will beat this, you know she will." Pepper said and I sighed.

"I don't know, she is getting weaker." I said and walked back into the kitchen with some dishes.

Steve watched me walk into the kitchen from the table where he was sitting with his mom. He grabbed some dishes and came into the kitchen with me.

"Hey..." He said and placed dishes in the sink. I looked and noticed it was just us in the kitchen.

"Hey." I said. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his midsection and held on to me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have panicked about marriage." Steve said and I shook my head, looking up at him from where my head was on his chest.

"No, it's okay. I was out of line. I just want to make my mom happy." I said.

"I know you do, and I do too but I think she will be okay with us just being back together." Steve said and I nodded. I rested my head back on his chest and sighed. I felt him kiss the top of my head and I smiled.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah of course, you still have those clothes at my place." Steve said.

"Perfect." I said. As I was holding on to Steve my cellphone rang in my purse hanging by the door.

"Who in the hell is calling on a holiday?" Steve asked and I shrugged. I left the kitchen and went to get my phone. I walked out to the porch.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Charlotte, it's Marcus."

I groaned not waiting to hear from this man today or any day so to speak.

"Marcus, it's the holiday, I am with my family and boyfriend. Can we not do this?" I asked.

"Boyfriend? Who? The ex you left before?" He asked and I groaned.

"I'm not doing this right now. What do you want?" I asked.

"Well, I was wondering when my writer is going to be able to get me the follow up book she promised."

"First of all, I never promised, second of all, I don't think I want to write it anymore. I have become close to everyone again and I don't want to do anything to screw that up." I said and I heard him groan.

"You are under contract with me for another book!" Marcus said.

"And I will get you one but right now, this isn't it!" I said crossing my arms trying to stay warm.

"Damnit Charlotte! I want this book and you will give me this book!" Marcus said and hung up. I just sighed shaking my head.

"Problem?" Steve asked coming outside and wrapped his jacket around me.

"Marcus, he wants me to finish the book about me coming back..." I said.

"I thought you got the all clear from everyone..." Steve said.

"I did, I don't know if I really want too though. I mean I made the first story being an idiot, I know this one will be better, but I don't want to ruin anything." I said and Steve sighed and wrapped his arms around me from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Charlie..." Steve said.

"Steve, I just don't know what I want anymore. I don't know if I even want to write anymore..." I said.

"What?" Steve asked in shock. Before I could answer I heard my dad inside the house.

"Oliver call 911!" Cliff yelled. I went running back inside.

"What's going on?!" I asked.

"Your mom passed out." Pepper said trying to keep me calm.

"Mom?!" I yelled but Steve held me back since my dad and Tony were already crowded around her trying to walk her up. I was thankful for Steve holding me up because I was sure my legs were giving out on me. This could not be happening, not now...