Winter Walks

I was sitting in Marcus's office and sighed. I had to come back to New York a lot sooner than expected now thanks to this lawsuit. Steve came with me but he was in my apartment working on getting some things packed up for me. He wanted to come to the meeting but I wouldn't let him. I needed to deal with this alone.

"So you came back..." Marcus said and I groaned.

"When you threaten to sue me I don't really have a choice." I said and he sighed.

"I didn't want to do it Charlotte but you left me no choice. You are breaching contract." He said and I sighed.

"Not really, I said I would get you a story and I will. I'm not under contract for the homecoming book." I said and he sighed.

"It's what I want, what the readers want." Marcus said.

"What do you mean readers. No one knows I'm writing this book." I said and he sighed. "What did you do?!" I asked pissed off.

"I may have released the first chapter on the website..." Marcus said and I groaned.

"Are you insane?!" I asked pissed off standing up from the chair.

"I needed to do something. People were questioning if you were just a one and done writer. I needed to give them something." Marcus said.

"Warn me Marcus!! This is so unprofessional!" I said and he shrugged.

"I did what I thought I had to do." Marcus said and I sighed. I just paced in the office.

"Fine...whatever, I will finish the book." I said.

"Good..." Marcus said.

"I'm finishing it in Ashland, in my new apartment I got there when I'm not working at my job I got. You will get your precious book!" I said and annoyed.

"You're moving out of New York? You're moving back to the town that you described in the first as you felt like it was suffocating you?" Marcus said and I groaned.

"I was out of line and wrong. That town is who I am. It's my life, my family, my future." I said and he sighed.

"Whatever, just finish the damn book as soon as possible!" Marcus said and I groaned.

"Fine." I left his office, slamming the door. Once I got back to the apartment I saw Steve sitting on the couch watching some tv relaxing. I saw a lot of boxes packed for storage. I walked over to him and sat next to him resting my head on his shoulder.

"What's the verdict?" Steve asked.

"Oh I'm still moving to Ashland but I have to finish the book. He posted the first chapter on my website." I said and Steve groaned.

"Without your knowledge?" Steve asked and I nodded.

"He said people were talking about me being a one and done writer and he needed to give them something." I said and he groaned.

"So timeframe to have it done?" Steve asked and I shrugged.

"As soon as possible. I said I would get it to him when I worked on it but I had a job now." I said and he sighed.

"Don't you think maybe...just maybe...talk to my mom about you starting to work once the book is done. Buckle down and write." Steve said and I groaned.

"I would but you don't know what I'm like when I buckle down and write. I lock myself in somewhere, don't do anything else but write...I wont even see you." I said and Stee groaned.

"Yeah I bet that will suck but don't you just want it done. I mean with your mom being sick and everything. You will want to be done with it in case something happens right?" Steve asked and I sighed, I knew he was right.

"You wont hate me? If I go back, set up and just start writing?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, the sooner you are done, the sooner I get you to myself." Steve said and I smiled at him.

"You are amazing Rogers." I said and he shrugged.

"I try." He said and gave me a small kiss. We watched a little more tv and then I sighed going into my office to pack. I looked out the window overlooking the park. Steve came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"You know we don't have to get rid of this place...you could keep it." Steve said and I shook my head.

"Its not cost effective. I don't plan on being in New York much after this trip. When I'm here I will just get a hotel." I said and Steve sighed.

"I just don't want you to make rash decisions." Steve said resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Steve, don't you want me in Ashland? With you? With my family? With everyone?" I asked.

"Of course I do. I just think you are making so many fast decisions. I mean you got an apartment above my moms store, a job with my mom and then the decision to sell this place all in 20 minutes. I just want to make sure this is all what you want." Steve said and I nodded.

"Yes. I've wasted too much time not being happy. I was never truly happy here but I didn't know if I could ever go back home. I know now it's all going to be okay." I said turning my head and smiling at Steve. He gave me a kiss. Once we broke apart I went looking back out at the park.

"You want to go on a winter walk with me?" I asked and Steve nodded. We put on our coats and shoes. We headed across the street to the park and started walking hand in hand through the park.

"So I wanted to talk to you about something..." I said and Steve looked at me.

"About?" Steve asked.

"Our future..." I said and Steve sighed.

"Okay..." He said and I smiled.

"Nothing bad. I just want to talk to you about if something bad does happen to my mom..." I said and Steve shook his head.

"Charlie, you cant think like that." Steve said.

"I don't want to and trust me I'm not thinking anything will happen to her but I want to be prepared if something does." I said and he nodded.

"Okay what?" Steve asked.

"I need you to know I will shut everyone, including you. Don't take it personal. I lost so much time with her that I know I will feel guilty. I mean I only came back because she was sick. I didn't believe it was as bad as it is. I just need you to fight me to let you in. It may not be pretty but you need to do whatever you can to keep me with you okay?" I asked. Steve didn't say anything for a minute then stopped me from walking. He turned to face me and pulled me into him.

"I will do whatever I can to keep you present with me Charlie. I love you, you are my everything." Steve said and I smiled at him.

"Also I want to apologize to you again." I said and he sighed shaking his head.

"You don't need to. I get it, I know why you did it. I was mad and wanted to stay mad at you but come one Charlie, you knew I would come around. I have loved you since I was 7." Steve said and I laughed as he pulled me into a passionate kiss. Once we broke apart Steve had his arms wrapped around me, mine were around his neck and he just looked at me.

"Marry me." Steve said catching me off guard.