Chapter 3 - Beta

*****

"The fairy still hasn't woken up?" Zev asked as he reached for the file I had just slid towards him.

"Uh-huh. Not yet," I replied.

It had been several weeks and the fairy was recovering well although still comatose. Hilliel and the other doctors stated that it was because of some trauma his head had sustained during the fall. It was interesting that fairies could heal almost anything except themselves.

I had decided to move the fairy from the hospital into a spare room at my house because he did not require any more immediate care and we needed the extra space. Our pack hospital was not very large as werewolves could mostly heal by themselves but after a bunch of teenagers somehow ingested harmful amounts of wolfsbane, the space in the hospital had been maxed out. The extremely poisonous plant was one of the few things we could not heal from by ourselves and they needed urgent attention.

Hilliel occasionally came over to my house to check up on the fairy. Whenever I was home at the time, we would do some checking up on each other as well.

"You must be disappointed," he said. I looked at my beta and gave a heavy sigh seeing the familiar disapproving look he often gave me etched into his features.

"I really am. He's just my type, you know?" I feigned disappointment.

"You mean male and breathing?"

I raised my brows at him.

"You're male and breathing and not his type," Amelia's voice sounded out what I was thinking and Zev rolled his eyes but took a seat at his desk not far from mine. "I hate this!" Amelia whined as she leaned against the side of my desk. "Kendrick, let me borrow your curse." My friends had started referring to my absent mate as a 'curse' while we were growing up; likening it to one of a princess in a fairy tale or something. It was funny, though not quite accurate because the spell was not one I could break.

It was more of an exchange than a curse, the witch had taken my mate and in return she assisted my pack and gave us the strength to win a war we were hours away from losing, she also restored our forest.

"Use the curse the way he does and Kayla won't even want to be anywhere near you when she returns. It'll be safer to stay away."

"Interesting. And, pray tell, where is your mate, Zev? I haven't seen her come running towards you despite your self-righteous celibacy and pompous attitude." I tilted my head at him in question.

"Could you two stop? I'm in pain over here." Amelia's voice actually conveying that made me reach out to take her hand.

"She'll be back safely in a couple of days, Lia," I said, hoping to comfort her.

"I want her now." I smiled despite how whiny that sounded. It was both sweet and annoying to see people be so attached to their mates. Maybe a little more on the annoying side sometimes because both my best friends were already mated and acted this way when their mates were out of sight for more than a few hours.

Amelia's mate, Kayla, was constantly travelling because she worked as a model and Amelia currently being in med school meant she could not join her mate whenever she needed to fly to a different country for a show or shoot. From what I had seen from Amelia, being away from her mate never got any easier no matter how many times they were apart. It made me somewhat glad I did not have to worry about that.

"She's probably whining about missing you too right now," Zev's reply made Amelia smile although she still looked upset and I agreed lifting my hand to squeeze her cheek while trying to reassure her that it would be alright. It made her laugh as she swatted my hand away.