Chapter 20 - Waiting

*****

I glanced over at the phone again somehow expecting it to show signs that someone was calling even though it had not made a sound for a couple of hours. All of the calls that came to my office were always forwarded to Aiden and then he would either handle it, call me or walk in to tell me about a call if it was necessary. I was not expecting a call either, it was that maybe Talian or Aiden – his new boss – would reach out to tell me how things were going.

He had interviewed a couple of days ago and Aiden loved him, which I had expected, and decided to have Talian join their team. It was his first day. I did not think they would call, there was no reason they should, I had not asked and they had not mentioned updating me but I just wanted to know how his first day of work was going.

I lifted a book so it was covering the phone and I would no longer be able to constantly look over at it. I didn't help, so I was relieved when Zev walked into my office looking like he had something much more urgent to talk about.

"These three. We'll have to talk to them to go any further. And I tried to clear him, I did, Kendrick, but it just makes sense for it to be one of them."

I slowly nodded reaching for the tablet he was offering to me. It was the three men he suspected to be the leak. We had been working on narrowing it down and he took to looking into the last five of our suspects. I knew who he was talking about because we were both surprised that he seemed to fit the guilty blueprint so perfectly.

Neither of us really thought it was him, but we had to consider every person equally. And so, Lyall had ended up as one of the three faces I was currently staring at.

He was quite rational, I knew he would understand why we were looking into him thoroughly as well, but it was not going to be great having his two closest friends interrogate him.

"Call them in. We can –" Zev's brows rose when my hand shot out as soon as the phone made a sound, answering it before it could even complete the first ring.

"Kendrick," I spoke.

"Alpha, a reminder to have dinner as you skipped lunch and breakfast." The disappointment felt like a wave hit me. Which annoyed me because why the hell was I so disappointed?

"I told you not to call me about that."

"Luna is still your senior and she told me to make sure to remind you." I rolled my eyes. That was a nonsense excuse. The only time anyone considered my mother a senior now that I was a grown man and Alpha was when she scolded them through me. Every last word in our pack was mine or Zev's until it came to something about me, and then they acted like she had more authority than I did.

"Aiden..." I sighed. If I argued, the next call would probably be from my mother. "I'm heading out now."

"Alright, Alpha." I could hear the smile in his voice as I hung up.

"Coming?"

Zev was staring at me through curiously narrowed eyes.

"You reached for that call very fast. Expecting a call from one of your hookups?" he asked, although clearly not thinking so. He knew me well enough to know I wouldn't be so eager to answer just anyone's calls. It seemed like he was genuinely curious. I was going to let him continue in that state.

"Yes, just need to squeeze one in quickly before I leave."

"Bullshit."

"Why ask if you know that?"

Zev frowned glancing over at the phone again.

"I do wonder who has the ability to get you so eager to answer a phone..." he mumbled.