Chapter 7 - The Chase

*****

"Okay, so what do you want to eat?"

I had parked my car underground closer to the outside of the city as parking was basically impossible to find any time after 6 AM, especially near the centre of the city where the park and most of the restaurants were situated. Luckily there were plenty of places to eat further out and the mall was not too far away so Talian and I were taking a walk.

"You're paying?"

I gave him a flat stare and he chuckled looking around.

"You'll have to pay me back though. One of our companies nearby needs a billboard on the side of the building repaired. I knew those wings would come in handy."

"Sure." I was joking but he agreed without hesitating and it made me raise my brows at him. He did not notice as he wasn't looking at me, his eyes instead darting around taking on our new surroundings. "I don't know anything about billboard repair though, so you'll have to give me a quick rundown." He looked over to give me a smile as he replied.

"Seriously?"

"I mean... I'm staying with your pack, in your house for free. It's the least I could..." Talian drifting off as he quickly turned away from me made me stop walking to see where he was going.

I began following as he headed further off our route before he suddenly started sprinting.

"Lian, what are you –?" I gave a breath of disbelief as his wings suddenly spread out lifting him into the air. It caused several heads nearby to turn to us.

What the hell was he doing? I had to pick up my speed into sprinting just to keep up with him. He was much faster off the ground than on it, but not so much that I needed to fully use my speed.

"Where are you going?!" People around us were turning as I sprinted past them and looked up at the fairy in surprise because it was very unusual to see someone fly in the city. We were in a werewolf shared-space and though wolves from different packs peacefully co-existed in the city, other supernaturals rarely visited. Vampires and fairies never did.

He did not answer me, seemingly too focused on his quest as he continued flying, sometimes barely slipping by billboards or hanging traffic lights because he did not seem to be paying attention to anything in front of him as his eyes stuck to the ground. I figured he was chasing something as he continued to search below and kept following on foot because there was no way I could stop him while he was in the air.

It took fifteen minutes before we reached the park and Talian finally swooped down only to fly straight into a tree. The movement was obviously purposeful as he wiggled his way further into the dense leaves.

"What the hell?!" I called out.

"Just a second, Kendrick. I..." he didn't finish, once again drifting off to focus on whatever it was he was up to.

"Alpha, what's going on?" The concerned voice drew my attention from the tree and I turned to a couple of women from my pack. I gave a sheepish smile nodding my head in a silent greeting.

"Janet – Um..." I had no idea.

"Is that the fairy that landed in our pack?" Ziena asked, her attention directed to the tree behind me.

"Yes. Sorry, he's, uh... It's nothing. He's fine. It-it's a fairy thing. Go ahead, I'll see you around." The women gave me smiles but glanced up at the tree with confused, questioning faces again before walking away, still looking back every few feet. I turned back to the tree. "Talian!"

"Wait – I almost –" Talian squirmed through the branches above and I glanced down the street and back as a few more people looked over at the fairy manoeuvring hurriedly in the tree. It looked painful for him to be up there with the sharp branches stabbing against and into his wings as he carelessly tried to squeeze further between them.