Chapter 56 - The Past - Part 1

*****

It took some blinking before my eyes cleared the bright blur around me.

I appeared to be in an average bedroom. There was a dresser not far from me, a bedside table and I was on a bed.

I tried to move, but lifting my head off the pillow resulted in a sharp ache in my temple as the room began to spin around me.

I let out a groan, my body sore as I tried to move my arms to push myself up, but my hands were stuck together. They were cuffed. The realisation quickly brought back the last thing I could remember and I shoved myself into a sitting position on the bed, ignoring the dizziness the sudden movement caused.

I could move.

Looking around, it became clear that it was not in the room I had fallen asleep in. There was a large window beside the bed with bars stretching over it. I looked around for a door and found it, but a person stood blocking the way out.

It was a boy with his antennae showing and bluish hair grown so long, it was tied back in a ponytail. He was shaken by my movement, his fingers gripping the dagger in his hands tightly. They were shaking ever-so-slightly. The glittering blue clan markings on his face traced across his forehead and around his eyes.

"Where am I? Where is... my dad?" I asked.

"Stay on the bed. I'll hurt you if you move," he replied.

The fact that he seemed so frightened was why I decided to take his word for it. I did not want to make him feel like he needed to defend himself, so I just nodded and shifted so my back was against the headboard.

I looked out of the window. There were trees outside. That was all the view through the glass showed.

We must have made it to a new clan.

I felt my eyes sting remembering the last talk I had with my father and turned my head back to the boy at the door.

He looked young, slightly younger than me. Maybe eighteen. He couldn't have been over twenty.

"You've heard about the other clans, haven't you? About the island we destroyed?" I faintly remembered the ground crumbling under my feet as panicked screams came from every direction around me. I assumed it was my doing.

I could still remember Kendrick and other bits of my past.

My father must not have performed the spell yet.

He said he needed a couple of weeks. How long had I been out?

The boy's trembling seemed to worsen as he backed up slightly. He slid the dagger so that it faced me.

"Please let me go. Help me. I promise I'll leave," I said.

"Yeah-yeah, right," he stuttered, his voice trembling. "Be quiet. I'm not letting you go anywhere."

"Please," I pleaded, moving to get off the bed.

The dagger began to glow light blue as ice formed from the handle under his hands all the way to the tip of the blade. He stepped forward, his knees bent as he began to get ready to launch at me, but I just knelt down once on the wooden floor, looking up at him as I intertwined my fingers.

"I'll leave this island if you show me how to, I swear. Please let me go."

His jaw clenched, his breathing hard as he watched me. He seemed to be at odds with the idea.

"He said if we let you out, you'll kill everyone."

"I can't, this blocks my magic." I lifted my wrists to show the cuffs, "I would have broken out already if it didn't. Let me go. I'll leave right away."