Chapter 66 - A Memorial

*****

I tensed as the werewolves began advancing towards us, none of them having shifted yet.

"Both of you. Together... You must have come scouting for land," the man was the only one who had spoken so far, he appeared to be their leader. Maybe their Alpha.

"Listen," Kendrick spoke, not to them but to me.

"No," I replied.

I knew what he would say and wasn't leaving him there.

I didn't know how they were preventing his movements; I didn't know why my body wasn't frozen as well, but I wasn't leaving him and Zev.

"Ervin, wait. Everyone stop."

The voice sounded like a pin dropping in silence, the sounds of the forest and even the wind muting instantly.

My mind went blank, thoughts disappearing with the sounds, and I just stood there as my arms fell from Kendrick, suddenly lame.

Movement from the corner of my eye drew my gaze and my brain barely started working again as they advanced towards us. I could faintly hear Kendrick; the new man's mouth was moving too but I couldn't make out what was being said.

His slow movements turned into a full-on sprint as he beelined towards me.

"No, wait!"

Kendrick's frightened shout was the only sound that broke through to me as the man made it to us, slamming into me so hard I would have fallen back if his arms had not locked around my shoulders to pull me against him.

My body felt numb, my arms hung at my sides as he squeezed me into his body so tightly, that I couldn't inhale. Breathing had taken a back seat in my mind anyway. It felt like I wasn't even in my body anymore, like I was watching the scene play out from somewhere nearby.

I couldn't form a thought, it felt like I was hallucinating, and I even doubted where I was. I doubted that Kendrick was there, frozen beside me, the fifteen-hour flight, the drive up the mountain and everything that had happened since I told Kendrick I wanted to visit my clan's ruins.

I had to be asleep.

The arms drew away from me, trembling hands moving my face, their fingers running along my cheeks, and my jaw until their hands moved to my neck while their shaking thumbs rubbed my face. It was like they were in the same state I was, as though their hands were trying to determine whether they were really seeing something tangible.

I managed to move my eyes to his face. His lips were moving again, but I still couldn't hear a word.

His nose had gone red, eyes puffed as tears ran down his face.

I forced through the numbness in my arms, forced myself to lift my hand so I could place it on his arm. I looked at my hand as it rested against the warm skin.

It felt every bit as real as when I held Kendrick's hand moments ago.

I could feel my chest caving already, my eyes filling with a flood of tears so fast it made my head pound.

What a cruel dream.

The image began to fade, as I expected. Tingles spread from where my skin touched theirs and began to create a new numbness that made my legs buckle.

I was grateful as the sight of my hand on his arm disappeared into darkness while my body began to fall.

It was a dream I hoped I didn't remember when I woke up.

"Kendrick –" the whisper came before I had fully woken up, my head pounding.

I remembered every bit of it. I even remembered not wanting to remember it. My nose began to burn instantly as anger rose into my temples, my chest aching.