Chapter 63 - Camping in Heat

*****

I looked back at Kendrick as I slipped into the tent and waited for him, his hand still holding onto mine as he crouched down and followed me inside.

Warm yellow lamps in the corners of the tent, beside the pillows and mattress, lit up the contours of his face as he glanced around. His brown eyes appeared even warmer as the light reflected in them while they studied the row of violet, fireless candles lined at the side of the blanket.

My hand seemed to move before the thought of touching him even crossed my mind and his gaze shifted to me when my finger traced along the shadow cast along his cheekbone. His eyes seemed to brighten as they met mine, a smile naturally playing on his face made my heart pick up.

He looked at me like he was so glad to see me. Like I was so precious to him. I could not remember him ever looking at anything the way he looked at me.

It made the butterflies in my stomach flutter as warmth spread through my body.

I shifted onto my knees to lean into him before he could say anything.

I didn't want to think about how hard it would be if I felt like I needed to leave later on. I just wanted to focus on how happy I was to still be there. How lucky I felt to have him close to me again.

I felt Kendrick's hands slip onto my thighs to tug me onto his lap, my legs at either side of his waist while his hands rested on my upper thighs.

The movement didn't cause a break in our kiss for a second, and it was clear to me that he shared the same craving I did when his face tilted to push closer to mine while my hands slid around the back of his neck.

As his tongue teased mine, I relished the feeling I had been longing for of being so intimate with him. I had never missed the taste of something so much in my life.

Feeling his hands run further up my thighs sent an excited rippling through my skin further up my legs to where I felt myself rouse as my stomach tightened in anticipation of his hands following the sensation they were creating. They didn't yet, instead tracing their way to my ass so he could pull me closer to him.

I already felt utterly uncomfortable in the clothes that prevented his skin from touching mine and quickly reached between us to unbutton the shirt he had been wearing all day. I pushed it off of his chest and felt him shrug his shoulders to help me get it off him, the movement made the smell of his cologne lift between us and I inhaled deeply.

If it had been possible to convince myself to break away from the kiss, I would have taken to finding the spot where he had applied the scent just so I could get a deeper inhale, but that could wait.

Despite most of my hands being wrapped in bandages, I could feel the heat from his body through them as I ran my hands along his arms, over his broad shoulders and down onto his chest. My fingertips were still uncovered so I used them to feel as much of him as possible, tracing the contours of his bare chest as it rose and fell with each of his increasingly quickening breaths.

I felt his hands hike up my shirt slightly as they traced around my waist and couldn't help the audibly sharp inhale as his hand barely grazed over the front of my pants. My hips raising into his touch was an involuntary move that broke our kiss as I rose above him and he looked up at me, his hand coming to rest on my groin.

The fabric was maddeningly restricting as he pressed against it while reaching to undo the button.

Kendrick seemed to be watching my reaction, his eyes studying my face in the warm light as his hand undid the zip of my jeans and pushed the fabric aside.