Chapter 41 - The Cabin

*****

The trees had thinned out when we left the pack initially only to return an hour into the trip. I wasn't sure where we were headed, and all Kendrick said when I asked was that it was close enough to his pack for him to return quickly if it was necessary. Somehow, he knew my question stemmed from worrying that he was leaving his pack during the clear turbulence they were experiencing just to take me away. It did not seem very close to me, but he insisted it would not take long for him to reach home if he sprinted.

We had not said much during the drive. Most of my time was spent staring outside, watching the blurred objects and trees as we passed by them, the sky darkening with grey clouds that seemed to fit my mood perfectly as the city buildings disappeared when we headed into a forest. My attention shifted to my hands as they had not flared up since Kendrick first touched me in the room. They were on my lap, clenching onto each other and I looked over at Kendrick's hands. They were tight around the steering wheel, his eyes focused on the road ahead.

The cuff was still around his wrist, I wondered if it bothered him. Why hadn't he used his wish yet?

My eyes shifted to his face. He looked tired, his brows slightly creased making it appear as though he was thinking, stressed. The issues in his pack must have concerned him a lot. Why did he choose to leave with me? Maybe he needed to get away from it too...

Zev had said they were not making much progress with work, he did not tell me exactly what 'work' was, but given the tension from Hilliel, Lyall and the general energy the plants around the pack drew from the pack members, everyone felt unsettled.

I looked ahead as the car bumped and continued to shake on the uneven terrain when we turned off-road onto a trail that appeared flattened by only car tyres as two distinct tyre paths were made through the long grass. Kendrick seemed familiar with the route though and continued further away from the road.

A few minutes later, a small cabin appeared in a clearing hidden in the trees. It seemed like it would have been impossible to find the place if the person looking for it did not already know it was there.

"What's this?" I mumbled.

"My dad's hideout," Kendrick replied, a small, mournful smile on his face.

I furrowed my brows as he closed his eyes, lifting his forefinger to his lips as his other hand moved to roll the windows down on either side of the car. After a few seconds, he opened his eyes again and gave me a smile. I missed that: a smile that did not seem to hold any weight or worry.

"All clear, come on."

"You were listening?"

"You never know what could have snuck in here in the few years I haven't visited."

"Few years?" I asked. "You really go out of your way not to take a break, don't you? Why did you visit the last time? Just to clean up and make sure it was still here?" Kendrick's dumbfounded and slightly sheepish face answered the question and I couldn't help but laugh. That was exactly why he had last visited.

"There we go." He smiled, leaning to plant a gentle kiss on my temple.

I felt the sombre air return quickly feeling bad about my own laughter but Kendrick reached to shove his door open letting a gust of wind into the car. I followed him out and looked up smelling oncoming rain. Above us, the sky had darkened quite a bit making it seem like it was much later than it really was. There were a couple of birds overhead circling and chirping as they dipped down into the trees and back up the sky.

Kendrick's hand sliding into mine drew me back to the ground and I looked at him.

"Do you want to talk about why you've been so quiet since he arrived?" Kendrick asked.