Chapter 5 - Bound

*****

"So, what happens now? You're just having him stay at your house?" Lyall asked without looking away from the screen as he tapped at the keys in front of him.

"Obviously. Until he regains his memory, right?" Belvine said.

"I suppose." I had not really thought about it but it seemed like the obvious next step.

Talian remembered his name after he spent a while trying to recall anything he could. All he claimed to remember was a woman telling him to come inside. He assumed she was his mother and said nothing else came back to him, not why she was telling him to come inside. Not where they were or what the place looked like though he figured it was his home. He seemed frustrated which made me feel somewhat sorry for him, but that did not mean I had completely given up on the possibility that he was faking memory loss. It seemed like a far stretch that he would injure himself that much just to infiltrate my pack and we had no prior connections to any fairies, but it was my responsibility to be cautious of anyone or anything that might be a threat to us. Even if he looked and sounded completely harmless.

He had not left the room since the previous night after we returned from the hospital without Hilliel. When I took breakfast to his room, it looked like he was still trying to think; trying to remember as he sat on the bed staring blankly across the room, his face twisted in intense concentration. I decided to leave him be because if he really had lost his memory, he was probably afraid and confused, and maybe he wanted to be left alone to try to process what had happened to him. Attempt to make sense of the fact that he knew nothing and was surrounded by strangers, living with someone he did not know but had to trust for the time being.

"Did he mention how you could get rid of the cuff?" I was surprised to hear Zev speak, mostly because I was used to the first thing he said to me being something that would piss me off. It was rare for us to have a conversation that wasn't about work. He had been quietly reading for the past fifteen minutes since I entered Lyall's kitchen.

His question directed my attention to my arm and I lifted it to have a closer look. "Ha... I completely forgot about it." I had become so used to the weightless cuff, I no longer noticed it and it had not even occurred to me to ask Talian about it. "Guess it grew on me."

"Do you think he could be dangerous?" Zev closed his book and straightened up.

"Fairies aren't built that way," Lyall said.

"There's always a possibility, though. Even creatures that are inherently good-natured can be evil sometimes. We'll keep an eye out. Anyway, we need to head to work but I'm going to drop by my house to check up on him."

"I want to meet the guy. Let's go," Zev said climbing off the stool. I looked at Lyall who shook his head while motioning to the screen in front of him. Chuckling, I figured he was too busy to join us and headed out with Zev.

Our conversation was left in the kitchen and the walk to my house was relatively quiet aside from us occasionally greeting pack members we passed. When we reached the house, I stepped inside and immediately began heading upstairs without inviting him in. He kept up with me anyway and stepped into the guest room right after I did.

I paused spotting Talian laying on the bed. Should have knocked. I was so used to living alone, I kept forgetting it was necessary to let someone know before barging into a room.

"Mint?" I called out walking over to the bed. Talian turned over not looking the least bit fatigued. "Can't sleep?" He nodded.

"I'm trying to. I think it will help me remember something."

"Wow." My head turned to Zev as Talian also looked towards him. "Sorry, I..." he drifted but quickly shook his head, letting go of the thought and not giving us an explanation for his reaction to the man in front of me. Instead, he grinned and reached out a hand to the fairy. "Zev, Beta."