Chapter 38 - Intuition

*****

The voices were the first thing that made sense when I came to, and then I realised I was lying down. It was not the hard pavement I had been kneeling on, but a soft bed. "Kendrick, I think we should let the fairy have a look at him. He can heal him," Lyall's voice was heard most clearly. I didn't move, trying to process why he was there, why I had just woken up and what he was talking about while hoping to stay calm because even though I had not even moved yet, I felt like I was spinning, causing a slight sickening nausea in my head.

"There's nothing wrong with him, he just fainted. He'll be fine. I'm not letting that man anywhere near him." The reply from Kendrick was stern, a little harsh. It did not sound like he was being sharp with Lyall, but as though he was stressed and angered. I figured it had something to do with the fact that I had been unconscious.

"Alpha, he called him 'Dad'. That man is Talian's father." The mention of my father brought back the moments before I blacked out. I still couldn't remember why I had been crying, why my chest had hurt that much, but I remembered that everyone was dead and it made my nose begin to sting as a ball grew in my throat.

"I don't fucking care who he is. Nick, you're the one who said you found him broken down with that man right next to him. Clearly, something happened in the five minutes after Zev dropped him off. He's not coming anywhere near Talian until Lian says that's okay."

"Maybe seeing his father revived some memories of what happened. Remembering anything seems to take a toll on him, maybe this time it was a lot more," Zev said.

"What is that man anyway?" Lyall asked.

"My guess? A witch and fairy hybrid," Zev replied.

"I saw him before... When Adaire showed up a few weeks ago. His eyes were wrapped then, I think to hide the fairy features at the time. Even then, I thought he looked familiar..." I inhaled spinning in my head finally subsided and felt Kendrick's hand tighten around my own. I wondered how long he had known that I was already awake.

"With Adaire?" Zev sounded shocked.

"What connection could they have? Do you think they have something to do with Talian ending up here, with you?" Lyall asked.

"Who is Adaire?" Nick spoke up.

"They do look alike... except the colours. His father must not be an earth-kind. Looks like fire to me," Lyall ignored Nick's question.

"Is Talian even an earth-kind?" Zev asked.

"His mother might be." The mention of my mother made me open my eyes.

"Talian!" Zev exclaimed. I looked at Kendrick. He wasn't at all surprised, although he looked relieved.

"Hey... How are you feeling?" he asked softly. The question brought a rush of conflicting emotions that made my eyes well up.

Pushing off the bed, I leaned into him and buried my face in his neck, his arms seemingly automatically locked around me to squeeze me into a tight hug. Even though it did not clear up the emotions or make anything any less confusing, it was calming being close to him. My head felt a little clearer when I was holding him.

"Everyone – My mom... My clan... my siblings... Everyone's dead. I know – I know I should be sad, broken... I mean – I am... but-but I can't remember... I can't... He can make me – he can suppress and bring back memories... but I don't think I can handle it..."

If I asked my father to bring back my memories, how much would I regret what I remembered? How much horror would I have to endure? How bad had it been? Would it be wrong to choose never to remember? It seemed like it would be. It seemed like I owed it to the people I used to know, the people who undoubtedly loved me and who I loved, to remember them, to remember how they passed. But...