Chapter 46 - Bliss

*****

"Lian?"

"He hasn't woken up again yet," I mumbled watching Kendrick's unmoving face as my thumb brushed over his warm hand. I was holding onto it not just to be close to him, but because the warmth was a comforting reassurance that he was still alive.

"His body's trying to adjust to the power. He'll wake up soon. You should come downstairs and eat something, I made waffles and eggs." Zev looked exhausted. He had been busy for the past couple of days, checking on Kendrick while trying to clean up, help the pack and account for the dead with the other Deltas.

I had managed to restore the forest; I wouldn't soon be able to forget the damage inflicted by the fire as it was horrific even from a natural point of view. There was not much I could help with when it came to rebuilding and comforting the pack members. I chose to stay with Kendrick instead. He had not woken up since he fainted after draining Lawrence's strength. That's what Zev said happened.

"I'm not really hungry."

"Talian, please. I'm not trying to lose another person here." He sighed. I bit my lip staring at Kendrick's hand for a few seconds.

"Is my father back?"

"No..." I nodded.

My father had been gone since I returned from the cabin. There was no word from him, no message, no letter. No one knew he had left at the time, and no one knew where he was going or whether he would be back.

"Please eat. Hilliel needs to change your bandage." I had forgotten that my shoulder was wrapped and lifted a hand to place it on my shirt. The bandage was bulky beneath the fabric. I smiled practically hearing Kendrick's voice telling me I was too reckless with my own safety. I wished he would wake up and tell me that, scold me for following him back.

I held my breath, letting go of Kendrick's hand and getting up as I turned to Zev. He gave me a soft stare.

"Hey, don't worry so much. He's literally the strongest person I know, he'll be fine. If anything, he needs some rest."

"Right." Zev would know more than I did.

He threw his arm over my shoulder and began pulling me with him as we left the room.

Downstairs, Hilliel cleaned my wound and replaced the bandages with new ones before heading upstairs to check on Kendrick while Zev and I ate breakfast. I was spooning some eggs around when noticing Zev's eyes shift to the hallway. I watched his face as he seemed to focus. The likelihood that someone was linking to him seemed low, so I assumed he was listening.

Eventually, he gave a short, exasperated sigh as he shook his head and moved to eat some more cheese. I furrowed my brows seeing that he seemed somewhat annoyed.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yes. Just remembered some stuff. How's my cooking?" He nodded to my half-cleared plate.

"I hope your mate is a better cook than you are," I teased. He rolled his eyes but chuckled. It truthful wasn't bad.

Once finished eating, I headed back upstairs. Unexpectedly, the room was empty apart from Kendrick. I had assumed Hilliel would still be with him as I had not seen him return to the kitchen or walk by to head to the living room during breakfast.

I walked right back to where I had been sitting and climbed onto the bed beside Kendrick, crossing my legs beneath me. I glanced at his still-sleeping face and bit the inside of my cheek feeling worry build back in my chest before I attempted to reach for the book on the nightstand, but jumped when something grabbed my ankle. Looking down, I gasped seeing his hand before my eyes shifted to his face.