Chapter 27 - Dates

*****

It was Friday night and I had not been expecting Kendrick to return home. He had, while I was getting ready to leave. I knew that because he had called out that he was back. That was kind, I doubted he usually felt the need to announce his presence as werewolves could hear a pin drop, but I would not have known he was in the house had he not told me.

After the fire, he worked as much as always. His schedule was quite unpredictable and the only thing I was really sure of was that he was usually training between 3 and 6 AM, other than that, I just assumed he was working when he was not around.

The fire seemed to set everyone off in the pack, there was a visible tension and everyone seemed slightly on edge. Even when I went to the park, nannies and other caregivers seemed hyper-alert about anyone coming and going, even though it had already been announced that the person that started the fire had fled from the pack.

I wasn't quite sure what Kendrick, Zev, and the other leaders had been up to, but everyone assumed it had something to do with what happened. Though, as far as I knew from the little bits of whispering I caught around the office, no one knew anything beyond the name of the person who started the fire and the fact that their former Luna had been threatened.

There was something that bothered me since the fire a few days ago, something I didn't know if I could ask Kendrick about.

When I had healed those trees around the cemetery, some pretty jarring scenes they had witnessed were shared with me. It was horrendous just feeling all those trees on fire from memories they had years ago. Even with that, it was hard to believe that there had once been a fire that spread over most of that massive forest. It had been healed by a witch previously, about twenty years prior. The pack's reaction to what happened at the cemetery made sense when considering the horror of the previous fire. I wanted to ask Kendrick about that... How it started, how the witch managed such a huge disaster, where the witch that helped them was, but I wasn't sure whether it was something he would want to talk about...

I was dressed ready for another date with Nick as the previous one had gone quite well when I made my way downstairs. Kendrick was in the kitchen, so I stopped by to see what he was up to. I was surprised to find him standing at the kitchen counter, the tabletop covered in ingredients and the oven light on indicating that it was heating up.

"What are you doing?"

"Making a cake." My brows rose seeing him crack an egg perfectly with just one hand.

"You bake?" Enough to have learned how to single-handedly crack an egg? I had never smelled anything baking in the house before.

"On occasion, when it's required," he glanced at me as he spoke, his eyes quickly flickering over me. It made me glance down at what I was wearing despite having just looked in the mirror before making my way downstairs. I'd decided to wear a simple T-shirt and jeans on this date.

"What's the occasion?" I asked.

"My mother's birthday. She doesn't eat cake unless I've made it so I bake whenever she asks." I smiled at the reply. He said it without much emotion, but it was sweet. He seemed close to his mother. He cracked another egg without even looking as his eyes followed his other hand reaching for the carton of milk.

"How do you do that?" His brows rose at the question and then he realised I meant the egg and tilted his head, motioning for me to come over.

"I'll show you." I washed my hands and stepped up beside him, expecting a verbal tutorial before he handed me an egg but instead, he immediately slipped one into my hand.

"Do you mind?" Kendrick lifted his hand towards mine as he stepped closer to me. I shook my head despite already feeling a flutter in my stomach, I couldn't audibly say I didn't mind because my voice did not seem like it would be reliable at the moment. I was afraid it would crack if I spoke. I could feel my heart thudding hard and quick in my chest as he stepped up behind me, his hand reaching over mine.