Chapter 34 - Alone

*****

There had been a strange feeling in my head since I awoke. It became more painful while I ran through my morning routine before subsiding as I headed out of my room, but it was still there as I made my way to the stairs with Sash following me through the hallway. It was not dizzying, and I did not feel like I was going to collapse or feel overwhelmed like when my memories returned, it was just a strange ache that did not seem to be completely disappearing. I hoped it would fade as I ignored it throughout the day. Maybe work would help distract from the feeling and later I would just notice that I no longer felt it.

The headache was accompanied by a nagging feeling that there was something I couldn't remember... As though I had a dream, another flashback maybe, during my sleep but had forgotten it. The frustration at being unable to remember was making my head hurt even more as I tried to wrack my brain to remember even the slightest details of any dreams or memories I had from the previous night.

"Something's going on there... I have to have a look into it myself." I stopped at the top of the stairs hearing Kendrick's exasperated voice and held my breath hoping not to interrupt. I had not known anyone was over, or that he was even home.

When I woke up in his room, I assumed he was already gone because he usually was when I woke up.

"And do what? What if he does have the same ability you do? I doubt he has the restraint you have with it."

Zev.

"Exactly. It's dangerous not to know what he's doing with it if he can do it too. No one has seen him since the witch visited, but wolves in his pack keep disappearing. If he can do what I can, there's only one reason for that and we have to end him quickly, before it's too late."

"Still, we need to think –"

"The longer we take to confront him, the stronger he could become, and the more uneasy everyone gets. We're expected to avenge those guards quickly. Not to mention..." Kendrick drifted for a moment before he spoke again, louder this time, "Talian?"

"Talian?" My eyes shifted as Sash brushed against my leg before heading downstairs and I began fighting to keep holding my breath in order not to make a sound as I desperately needed to inhale. I gave up and inhaled slowly, trying to make it sound calm as I took a step down from the second floor.

"I hear him, he must be on his way down with Sash. Zev, can you drive him to work today? I don't feel comfortable letting him take the bus when so much is going on."

"And where will you be heading while I drive him to work? Kendrick, if you want to look into Legacy, I'll go with you."

"Yes, if he's actually a substantial threat now, both Tala leaders should run into that at the same time." I bit my lip picturing Kendrick rolling his eyes. "No matter how much stronger he's gotten, I can handle him. And if I cannot, you should be here."

"What does that mean?" I spoke without thinking as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I turned to look down the hall and saw that Kendrick's office door was open. There was no reply to my question even though they had both undoubtedly heard me, if I could hear them they could definitely hear me, so I headed to the office and stepped into the large room to see Zev and Kendrick standing beside Kendrick's desk.

"Good morning," they both grinned at me as though I had not just heard their conversation. There was something off about Zev's grin but I quickly chose to address that later.

"What does that mean?" I repeated. It sounded like he was going to do something that would result in him being hurt, which scared me. Why would Zev need to be there? In case Kendrick didn't return? My breathing stopped at the thought. "I can go with you."