Chapter 49 - Confused

*****

"It's impossible to destroy. He must have broken his hand trying to get that thing off," Hilliel muttered as he studied the cuff around my wrist.

I wasn't sure what to do with it. Force it off my arm the way Talian probably had? There was no reason to keep it on without him there. The smell of his blood still lingered from the other bracelet across the room.

The doctor had dropped by when I was still reading the letter. I had not even heard Hilliel come into my house. The memory of finding out he was gone was just a daze in my mind. I couldn't recall much of what happened between the moment I walked into my house to the point where I ended up in my office.

The entire night didn't seem real, especially now that I was not in a house filled with the lingering smell of burnt fabric that made it clear that some damage had been done; that things were not normal.

It was better being away from it. When I was there, I had just been so caught up in the shock of realising he was gone. Being away cleared my head a little and I could think about the situation better.

Well, as best as I could through my mind-fogging concern about him.

"How do we even know he wrote this note?" Lyall asked.

"He did." The paper smelled like him, and it was his handwriting. I knew no one else had written that pretending to be him.

He had written it. But had he done it on his own? The way he left the house... it didn't seem like he left calmly. The writing on the note was scribbled like it had been written in a rush with a hand that was not stable.

He had been okay when I left that morning. The letter gave no information other than what he had done to his clan. There was no hint of where he would be going, how he had remembered.

What happened?

I knew why he left. If he found out he had killed his entire clan, he may have been afraid to hurt anyone else. But how had he killed them? Was it a mistake? Had he done it on purpose? He must have panicked, especially if his power surged again. It had done quite a bit of damage to my house.

I just wished I had gotten back earlier, in time to calm him down. In time to try to figure out what exactly happened. In time to talk to him.

"Kendrick?" I had forgotten about the four people currently sharing my office despite them talking amongst themselves.

"I... I don't understand..." I mumbled.

"You have to find him. Maybe you'll find some answers that way," Amelia said.

"People don't leave notes like this when they want to be found," Lyall said before pausing, his eyes glancing from the note as if he had forgotten for a moment that I was there. He seemed to bite his tongue, his gaze softening at me. "I mean..." he drifted.

"I know what you mean. You're right," I said. "But..."

Would it be selfish? Would it be selfish to ignore his goodbye because I needed more of an explanation from him? Because the note was not enough. I needed to make sure he didn't want me to look for him. I needed to make sure he was okay.

I needed to try to convince him to come back...

There was no way he would have hurt his clan on purpose... That wasn't something Talian would do, not even to strangers. Let alone his own clan.

He had been so shattered by hurting someone as terrible as Adaire, he was clearly haunted by his clan's deaths. He wouldn't have hurt anyone intentionally.

"We should look for him," Amelia said.

"Look for someone that killed their entire clan?" Lyall asked.