Chapter 58 - The Past - Part 3

*****

"Happy now?"

I could barely feel the grass beneath me. I felt so dazed and disconnected; as though I was in a dream but somehow awake at the same time. It felt like I wasn't even there, yet I was trapped and couldn't move. It didn't feel like I was in my body.

The last look on my mother's face was burned into my brain.

She had looked so hurt, so stunned and scared... because I couldn't remember her. And then I couldn't even remember I had killed her. Or any of them.

I dropped my head shutting my eyes to try to stop the steam of tears running down my face. I didn't deserve to feel sad about it. I was angry at myself for crying, for my body reacting like it had the right to feel hurt after I had killed everyone. All I should have felt was guilt.

"If it's any consolation, you killed most of them quite quickly due to over-excitement."

I wanted to shut him up, but the cuffs around my wrist prevented me from giving him the same death as my mother. It would have been so quick if I had just been able to use my powers.

A light crack made my eyes shift back over to the kid who had let me go. It was like looking at him for the first time, realising where I was for the first time as I saw the trees behind him. He was willing to help me escape, even though he was afraid of me, because he felt like it was the only way to save his clan. He had no idea...

There was no way my being on that island ended with him and his clan being okay.

Kendrick was strong... I was sure he was a strong wolf. He could take care of himself. But my being alive was a threat to everyone, especially if I couldn't remember anything. Even if my father did nothing to my head this time, I knew who I was.

A murderer.

It was best to end my existence as it was.

Kendrick would be okay.

I began to try to get up even though I still felt like my body was too weak to move but nothing happened.

My father gave a short, disappointed exhale. "You really think I didn't assume you would try to jump after remembering?" he asked.

The numbing spell again. That must have added to why I felt no control of my body. It seemed like a lighter version though, because I wasn't completely slumping over. I could probably talk, but I wouldn't be able to make myself do that even if I had something to say.

I figured that like even if he wasn't preventing it, I wouldn't be able to move. It felt like every ounce of energy or control I had over my body had drained. I couldn't even control my crying, which had not stopped yet.

"Don't worry. you won't remember anything in a few hours." He looked over at the kid.

"I-I'm sorry!" the kid fell to his knees immediately. "I'm so sorry. I –"

"Shut up and take him to the hall."

"Y-yes, Sir."

The boy scrambled over to me on the grass and grunted as he tugged my arm over his shoulder, struggling to hold my dead weight as he stood up. He had a bit of lean muscle that was the only thing that made him slightly bigger than me.

My father leaned his face close to mine before we could leave.

"It's a shame. That version of you would be perfect, Ashen... If it weren't for the chance that you could return, I wouldn't have had to completely erase everything." He sighed as he stood up straight again. "What a waste." His eyes moved back to the kid. "You. Don't think you're getting off without punishment. I'll deal with you at the end of the day; just be grateful you get to be alive to be punished."