Chapter 67 - Happy

*****

My brother had always been better at flying than I was, quicker to get his wings out and better at controlling his every movement, the strength and stamina he had in his wings meant he could also stay in the air much longer, but he didn't release his wings as he fell from the cliff.

"Fly!" I screamed, pushing myself off the cliff after him as my wings flapped out.

I regretted it instantly, because letting my wings out early drew me back into the sky, further away as he fell.

I shut my eyes, cringing as he neared the ground, but the sound of impact didn't come. I felt my hands shaking as tears began to wet my face.

"Does having no sense of self-preservation run in your family?!"

The sound of Zev's angry voice made me open my eyes, and I gasped seeing my brother in his arms.

Arion chuckled as he kicked out of Zev's hold to land on the grass. He had not released his wings; he was expecting Zev to catch him.

"There. I knew there was more to you. So, are you going to keep being afraid of me or can we talk?"

I landed beside Arion and gave him a hard shove that made him stumble back despite being taller and more muscular than I was.

It took all of my impulse control to keep from pushing him more or just lashing out.

"How the hell could you do that?! On the fucking island everyone else died on! How could you –?!"

Arion's face fell and he quickly grabbed my arms.

"I-I'm so sorry. Lian, I wasn't thinking. That was so stupid. I'm sorry," he was genuinely apologetic as he drew me into a hug.

I couldn't stop the crying as he kept apologising, trying to calm me down while I felt my body tremble.

"We just found each other," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry. I'll never do something like that again," he whispered. "I really didn't think about it."

If I wasn't so scared, I would have retorted that he never thought before he did things, but I was too upset.

"Lian, your brother's more reckless than you are."

Looking past my brother, I saw that Kendrick had appeared near Zev.

"Kendrick, it's not the time," his beta frowned at him. "Lian, I'm sorry. Mates mess with your head a little, even when you're not a wolf. I came looking for you guys and I'm sure... Arion," he said the name carefully, glancing away as his face reddened again, "could feel me coming. He knew I would catch him."

"Don't apologise for him," I hissed.

I knew he knew Zev was near, I didn't care.

"I'm sorry, Lian."

Arion pulled back to look at me. His eyes were glassy too, but he was doing a better job than I was of holding back.

"That was so stupid."

"Avery would have killed you," I muttered.

"Yeah..." he mumbled with a choked chuckle.

I shook my head, remembering all the times our sister had to draw him away from stupid impulsive behaviour that could get him in trouble or even hurt.

"You can't act like that anymore. You... you have to stay... here... I can't lose you again."

My brother nodded as he patted my hair gently. His hand paused before running onto my forehead.