Chapter 57 - The Past - Part 2

*****

~

"Hey, Honey. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Mom. Just a little sick... and dizzy," I sighed as my mother placed her hand on my forehead.

"It's not getting better," she mumbled, more to herself than me.

I wanted to tell her about the visions. I wasn't sure what they were, but I figured they were imaginary.

I kept seeing myself destroying things: burning plants and animals, and shattering rocks and boulders. Squeezing things to death with vines. Freezing lakes and then boiling the water to kill every living inhabitant.

It wasn't something I had done. At least... I didn't think so. I couldn't remember doing it... But I could see it so vividly in my mind. I could feel the excitement of hunting down those creatures to harm them.

It felt unfamiliar and wrong. Those were not things I would do.

I was afraid because it all seemed so clear. I was afraid it was even real though it made no sense to me.

I wanted to tell her, but what if she thought differently of me? What if she thought I had been hiding things from her and I was as unnatural as the rest of our clan thought I was? What if she thought I was dangerous?

It wasn't real. It was best not to tell her.

It was probably just like having nightmares. They would fade eventually. I had been quite stressed by exams.

"Your magic... We might need to ask Dad to use a spell to calm it," she said.

It was then that I noticed the sheets my hands were gripping onto had become frozen beneath my fingers. I tugged away causing the ice to melt into wet blobs of fabric.

My mom tried to reach for my hands, but I dug them under the blanket. I wasn't trying to use my magic, yet I could not seem to stop. It was best not to touch her at the moment.

I looked at the books piled on my desk and let out a groan in frustration. My head hurt so much.

"I need to study –" I had an exam in a couple of days.

"Maybe you've done too much studying. Just relax. Don't think about it."

Right. I would not get much done anyway while freezing the pages and pens I touched.

She placed her hand on my forehead again and it began to glow as she tried to heal me, but it had no effect. She then let out a heaving sigh, turning to grab her phone from the nightstand. Once again, it went to my father's voicemail.

The smell of burning fibre made me tug my hands from the blanket before I even looked down to see the fire I had started. My mother gasped, quickly reaching to pat it out while I intertwined my hands and placed them on my knees to prevent touching anything.

"I can't make it stop, Ma," I muttered. "Maybe I should go outside. No, I could set the forest alight..."

Staying inside risked burning the house. I didn't know what my magic would do next. Was I powerful enough to freeze over the island's entire river like I had done to the lakes in the visions I kept having? I doubted it, but didn't want to find out.

I never used my magic much. I used to use it to try to impress the other kids when I was little, but their parents were always afraid of that. My parents always told me not to use it, especially around our clan members. It was very easy for me to control. But in the recurring visions I had been having lately, I seemed so much stronger than I felt. I couldn't imagine controlling that.