Chapter 9 - Park

*****

*Talian's POV*

The feeling of Kendrick's tongue brushing against my lower lip caused me to turn my head towards the window, effectively breaking the kiss. His warm breath brushed against my cheek as he let out a light chuckle before leaning back, I looked at him when his face was further away from mine.

"Maybe... not a good idea," I mumbled.

"If that's what you think." His smiling caused me to glance back down towards his lips. I already sort of regretted not letting the kiss go on for longer but knew I was right. It was not a good idea to hook up with him when I barely knew him and was relying on him, living in his house because I had nowhere else to go. I also did not know if I would be okay with just hooking up with him. I couldn't remember how I reacted to relationships in the past, at the moment I didn't know what I wanted from them but figured I wasn't ready for one. Thinking about it made my head hurt again as the frustration of being unable to recall anything caused a slight ache in my temple.

"I made breakfast. Vegetarian because I don't know if you eat meat," Kendrick said.

"I..." I didn't know either. I let out an annoyed huff lifting my hand to grab some of my hair. I felt so lost, I knew nothing about myself or anything else.

"Hey," Kendrick reaching for my hand caused me to let go. His fingers intertwined in mine as our hands rested on my lap. "Don't think too much, it'll come back... And if it doesn't, you'll figure things out."

"If it doesn't, I'm screwed," I muttered. I'd never find my home, never see my family or friends – if I had any – again, never know how I ended up where I was... or whether my magic was really dangerous until I hurt someone.

"Not really, you could just start over. There's no rush for you to leave here, so just take it one day at a time. It'll be okay, Lian." I nodded trying to let his words calm me down. Right... Start over... Kendrick's phone going off caused his hand to pull from mine, reaching for the phone. I clenched my fist trying to get rid of the sudden emptiness before clasping my hands together. Kendrick's eyes ran over the screen for a few seconds and then lifted to me.

"I have to go to work. You can go outside if you want, it's safe." I nodded as he got up.

"Did you eat?"

"You're so considerate." He chuckled.

"So, no?"

"I'll have something on my way. See you later, don't break anything else with your wings." I narrowed my eyes as he laughed but smiled watching him walk out.

An hour later, I stepped back onto the second floor and spotted Kendrick's cat asleep on the couch nearest to the balcony where some sun shone through the curtains making her golden fur look like it was glowing. The house had been quiet while I ate. There was not much to do, and I was considering heading outside but also wanted to do some fairy-related research. Maybe there was a list of clan names somewhere on the internet and reading through it would jog my memory and remind me which one I was from. I wondered if Kendrick took his laptop with him, or if he had an office with a computer. It seemed rude to go searching through his house...

I sighed heading back into my room and stared at the curtains. Focusing on them, I watched as they slid closed again, swinging in the wind and darkening the room as they shut. It was necessary to try to find out more about myself... And it would not be snooping if I was just looking for the computer and avoided anything else.

Agreeing to go along with that logic, I headed to get cleaned up and threw on a sweater and pants Kendrick had bought the previous day before heading to search the house. Upstairs, there was a bathroom, a couple more guest rooms and a room that I assumed was Kendrick's because it was the only one that looked personalised. There was a massive painting of a beach sometime after dusk above the headboard and a picture frame beside the bed. I did not step inside or take a closer look and just shut the door to make my way downstairs.