ONE YEAR LATER

No speck of cloud could offer a hint of shade from the scorching rays of heat that beamed

No speck of cloud could offer a hint of shade from the scorching rays of heat that beamed. The breeze that was said to pass by has yet to come. Only the swift current of the ocean could provide some solace. That was until her thoughts drowned her. She imagines his warm arms finally grab a hold of her to rock her back and forth. For her head to fall against his chest tempted to steal a kiss from death, but the child's cries remind her of the real prize.

"Mommy, mommy, mommy!" Nailah dashes.

Nova steps back from the current that is tempted to pull her in. She kneels down, catching Nailah from falling down on her two feet. "What is it, Nailah?" Nova furrows her eyebrows together. Her hands firmly hold her daughter in place, checking to make sure no wound has been inflicted. "Is everything okay? Are you hurt?"

Her fourteen year old daughter Njari laughed, making her way over to them, "Mom, why are you always thinking that?" Her milk tea colored curls are scrunched just below her shoulders with her hands appearing to have some left over gel. She must've done Nailahs hair that is gelled down at the roots with several braids touching her shoulders. They look perfect.

"Sorry" she flashed a sheepish smile, "I'm getting a little crazy, huh?"

"Really crazy!" Nailah shouted. Njari chuckled in response. "Here!"

A string of pearls tied together rests on her palm. Nova softly gasps, "Did you collect these yourself?" Nailah nods. It wasn't a surprise. Nailah possessed a talent for the arts. "Estos son hermosos. Son para te?" Nailah grabs her wrist to place it in her procession. Nova carefully closes her hands, "I love these, mi amor. Now, come on." Nova picks her up, giving her a kiss at the head. Nailah leans into her shoulder. Njari takes Nova's hand as they proceed up the small hill of sand. The beach house is small, but durable. It was her mothers house here in Yucatán at the corner of San Benito. A quiet town away from others.

"Alright, lights out!" Nova announces coming into the room with Njari. She rocks her son, Azuri in her arms. They hold the bottle of milk for him to drink. Nailah yanks on her mothers skirt mother upset.

"Mommy, no!" Nailah groans in frustration. It wasn't always easy getting Nailah to go to sleep. Sometimes it worried Nova that she suffered from nightmares.

"Alright, alright" Nova settled down on her bed. "Mija, before you go to sleep I have something for you guys. I set it on your nightstand" she gestures over to the small ribbon boxes.

Nailah gasped, rushing over to it. Nova chuckled, watching her attempt to open them both. "You gotta bring them over here" Njari instructs her. Nailah listens and jumps on to her bed. Her dainty fingers loosen the silver ribbon. Her eyes stare down at the golden necklace with a round locket hanging at the bottom. Azuri crawls over to Nailah blabbing. He reaches for the small box to put in his mouth. "Open it" Nova encourages excitedly. Nailah does so and smiles at the sight, "Abba!" She cheers, "And mama!" She points to Novas chest.

"That's right, abba and I" Nova fights her tears. It wasn't easy finding that picture of her and T'Challa. She had to send her phone to America to recover the old data. It took some time and money, but it worked out. "I know you all miss your abba. I miss him too, but just remember..." She holds their hands "we may not see him, but I promise you he is with us every step of the way."

Nova attempts to get off the bed, but Nailah stops her. She wraps her arms over her shoulders, holding on tightly, "I love you mommy"

Nova forehead frowns. She squeezes her eyes shut unable to bare her strength withering away. She wondered if Nailah could hear the way she was breaking on top of her. "I love you too" her voice quivers, "with all my heart"

Nailah pulls back wiping Nova's tears away. Nova chuckles, thanking her. "Now, I promised you and your brother a bedtime story. So after this one will you promise me to go to sleep?" Nova extends her pinky out. Nailah giggles, locking her small dainty finger with hers. Nova carries Azuri one last time before placing him in the crib. That is when she notices Njari no longer in the room.

Nova worries about proceeding with the story, but she knows that Nailah is dying to hear it. So she goes on with the tales that had yet to be unveiled. Her words spoke of a young King so bold with claws that hold. She had to illustrate the tales or else she'd fail to earn some gales. Their adventures of battling in an evil lair were enough to give them a scare, but she did not dare to leave their thoughts in despair. Swords were drawn and wars were done. The King was brought to his knees in front of the sea to ask the princess to become his new Queen.

With their hearts now beating in satisfaction her children had at last tumbled off to sleep. Nova closes the door. Her eyes are tired, waiting to fall asleep, but there were more important things that couldn't wait. Njari's room is empty. Her mind races. She goes out to the kitchen and immediately spots Njari through the small window frame. She proceeds outside. For once it's cool outside. The moon glistened on their tawny beige skin. It's quiet when they say down together, enjoying the cool water splashing on their bare skin. Njari distracts herself by twisting the gifted necklace.

"Alright, what is it, babygirl? Do you miss your dad?" Nova questions.

She was just a 11 years old girl when Nova and T'Challa had met her while they were on a mission. Njari had no name or a home. The streets was all she was familiar with, but she possessed the same abilities as Nova. It was as if they shared the same blood. Their bond was instant. Their time spent together didn't last long, but T'Challa was proud to claim Njari as his own.

"Yeah, but it's not that" she hugs her knees, turning her head away to hide her face.

"Okay, then what is it?" Nova tilts her head.

"Somethings out there" Njari begins, "Every single time I go out there I hear someone's heart beating. They sound so close. Like they're just there watching us. I know you think I'm crazy"

Nova shakes her head, hugging the adolescent, "You're not crazy, babygirl." Secretly, she hoped that the person her daughter sensed was perhaps T'Challa or Natasha watching over them and no one else, but Nova didn't want to go into that.

By the time the two make it back inside the house an unsettling amount of exhaustion hits their bodies. However, one step forward and all that exhaustion wears off. Nova's head sharply turns over to the dim hall. Her instincts were kicking in. Something was wrong. She pulls Njari behind her, "Njari, listen to me. Go to your brother and sisters room now"

"Why, what's wrong?" Njari panicked.

"Just go" Nova demanded. Njari does not ask twice. She dashes to the room. Nova's fingers gently pulled the knife out from her back pocket. She creeps toward the kitchen where the sound of someone's breathing became more apparent. Nova presses her back against the wall, waiting. The stranger roams around the room. They seem to be taking in everything they owned. This intruder was different. They were curious. What for?

Nova glared, not wasting another spare second. She comes up behind and slams the intruder down. The women beneath her grunts, attempting to block her attacks, but her throws were weak. Nova turns the women around ready to thrust the blade down to their beating heart. Nova's grinding teeth unclench. Nakia is nearly blinded by the lights. Nova gets off, nearly stumbling back in shock.

"Hello, princess."

_________________________
These are the people who I imagine playing their older version since it's hard to find children that match the description of how I envision the characters.

Savannah Steyn as Nailah

Brittany O'Grady as Njari

Nadji Jeter as Azuri