COMFORTING

With half closed bloodshot eyes, the drowsiness that has settled begins to wither

With half closed bloodshot eyes, the drowsiness that has settled begins to wither. The illuminating sunshine crawls through the window. Weariness tempted her to fall back asleep, yet consciousness began as the birds outside sang out of tune. Beneath the covers, her achy bones refused to move.

Her eyes flutter wide open, greeted by the white walls centering her mothers old bed. Picture frames rest on her lap. She reaches out to grab a hold of them, yet it is clear that she is tangled in a mess of tubes taped to her skin. Nova makes an attempt o rip them off when a woman emerges in her view.

"I would not do that if I were you" It was easy to recognize the voice before even seeing the woman's face clearly.

"Nakia...?" Her voice was low and raspy. Nakia gently placed her finger to her chapped lips. Her hands felt all too real for this to be another dream.
Nova's mind reeled with her heart ponding against her chest. "Save your voice" It is then Nova sees the tears pouring out of Nakia's heart. She sniffs her nose, gently holding Nova's dainty hand, "Oh, thank you Bast" her eyes shut, releasing a relieved sigh. "We feared you joined the ancestors."

Nova shook her head, tempted to tell Nakia the truth about her time in the underworld, but instead she offers her a weak smile. It wasn't worth worrying her. "It's not so bad" Nova chuckled, despite her voice being so frail at the moment. "You should've seen me on my mission to Budapest. I felt like I went through hell front and back" Nakia didn't seem amused by her joke, but she still laughed, happy to hear her friends voice again. However, it became hard to ignore the question lingering her mind. There was no more patience left in her to remain silent on the topic. "What happened?"

Nakia tells her this.

A funeral was held for Queen Ramonda. War was declared against Talokan after Namor had taken her. Shuri was hellbent on killing the Feather Serpent God. Through trial and error she finally succeeded in recreating the heart shaped herb. Wakanda now had their protector again. As Black Panther, Shuri orchestrated a plan to come rescue her. The battle against the sea people took out many of their own. And to her surprise, both Shuri and Namor surrendered, calling it a truce. No one knows the reason why. Solely that they both promised to protect both kingdoms against outside forces. Namor returned her to Shuri and M'Baku was then soon crowned King, writing a letter to her assuring that it was only until the time was right for Nailah to take her fathers place. The letter then noted that Riri wished her a god speed recovery and thanked her for being there. Yet, to her surprise, there was nothing from Shuri. Not a single message was delivered from her end.

Nakia stopped, checking to see if Nova was still following, but it didn't explain why Nakia was here in her mothers old home. Or, how it was even possible. Knowing M'Baku he would've had something to say about this. "Shouldn't you be off to Haiti in that new school of yours?" Nova attempt to sit up from the bed that was now making her feel uncomfortable.

Nakia stiffened at the corner of the bed, pressing her lips into a firm line, grimacing at the flashback. "I thought it would best if I stay here for a while. Make sure you are okay"

This wasn't pleasing to hear. It hurt seeing Nakia so stressed. There was more to life than staying at her side and tending to her wounds. Nakia deserved to get back to her life. "Don't even worry about me. I'm not even that bad"

"You had four broken ribs, a few cracks in your skull" a tone of sheer annoyance shifted her voice, "Not to mention the loss of blood. Bruises are all over your body. If T'Challa were to see you like this he would not spare Namor." Nova concentrated on the hurt touching Nakia's eyes. "It was not easy seeing you like that in Namor's arms. My prayers to Bast weakened. I failed not being there for my best friend. I am not going to make the same mistake again."

Nova hadn't thought the image of her looking lifeless wouldn't strike a cord til now. The idea of it was absurd. Nearly made her selfish to not realize how much she truly had hurt those around. Her weak hand reaches Nakia's in sympathy, "I'm sorry. I really am, but you don't have to carry that guilt with you. T'Challa would want you to go out and enjoy life. He always admired you for how courageous you are. Your stubbornness on the other hand..." Nakia laughed, reminiscing the times T'Challa complained about her attitude. Looking back at it made her realized how much she could've cherished those moments. Nakia quickly wiped the tears away. Nova was relieved to see the smile on her face. She leaned back into the pillows and realized why everything was so quiet. Taunts of her failure have ceased. No thoughts ran through her head. No nightmares tormented her. There was no old resentments left to choke on. That little girl inside of her finally dropped her weapon. For once she had chosen serenity. She was free.