FOURTY-FOUR

^^^

CORA ELLIS

When i was a teenager, i suffered with a condition called endometriosis.

It stemmed from me having bad periods and being in endless pain when i had them. It didnt run in my family so when my doctor told me at 16 years old, i was so confused.

They gave me mutiple tests and i went on the pill, completley forgetting i ever had it. Years went by and it was only brought up again when i got pregnant with Orla.

I was on regular appointments to check everything with me and Orla was okay, we got lucky. She was a healthy baby, she had no issues at all and neither did i.

She really was my lucky charm.

Once again, after Orla was born i didnt think about it again.

But i wasnt expecting to get pregnant again...

My stress levels for this baby were high, where i wasnt eating i was not only damaging myself but the baby too. I didn't know there was a small human growing inside of me. I didn't know not only was I loosing myself in my own life, but I had lost my beautiful unborn child.

That is why i felt like the person to blame.

This is my fault, i lost our baby.

My heart aches too much as I try to compose myself but the pain just keeps building like a tower. I feel like a jenga tower, if you take one more brick out of me. I'll fall apart.

And I have a feeling this is my last brick.

"W-wait, she was p-pregnant?" Harry stutters on his words, his words are sour and his expression is pained as he clenches my hand tighter but I hardly feel it through the pain coursing through my body.

I see the pain flash across his face before he frowns and his eyes start to glisten with his own tears.

I can't believe I did this to him.

"Three weeks" the doctor confirms with a slow and sad nod as i swallow the heavy lump of emotion in my throat. My hands shake and my eyes feel heavy as the tears start to fall like an endless tap.

I turn my head away, letting a quiet sob to myself for a second as the doctor talks to Harry. The world goes silent around me as i stare at the pastey cream coloured wall. I breathe in trying to catch my breathe before my eyes shut and my face trembles. I try to stare at the picture frames on the wall but it's hard to make out the colourful patterns in the darkness of my life.

I barely hear the mumbled voices of information as my ears ring. My heart feels like its failing as i let go off Harry's hand. One of my hands clutch over my mouth and the other holds a place over my heart as i let out a loud cry. The cry echoes throughout the shallow room and the light seems to get more darker, before it takes over my entire world into darkness..

Everything around me disappears and I find myself stood in a dark room. A bright spotlight shinning down on me like a moment of shame. I look around but all I can see is eternal darkness. A shiver runs down my spine from the coldness of the box room and I hold my trembling body as I try to squint my eyes into the darkness.

"Hello?" I ask into the darkness but I receive a silent response.

I look around again, trying to walk out of the spotlight but it's like a barrier that I'm trapped in.

But then I hear it.

I hear tiny footsteps. Tiny tiny footsteps.

I look out into the dark distance from where I stand. Two shadows walking towards me.