12

~~ please comment and vote ~~

Hecate sat up groggily, feeling a killer headache pounding on the insides of her skull. With a soft groan, she rubbed her temples with her index and middle fingers.

"Catie, sweetheart, you alright?"

"Is sweetheart a name i'm stuck with now?" The girl asked with a slightly tired tone, and as she peeked through one of her tightly closed eyes, she saw a red tint appear on Xavier's face and neck.

"I-I mean-If you-"

"I like it." She said with an assuring smile, which made the boy relax in his seat beside her bed. With a huff, Hecate swung her legs over the side of the bed and went to to stand, but her balance failed her and she almost fell to the ground. Had Xavier not been there, she'd probably be unconscious once more.

"Whoa, take it easy, Hecate." Xavier helped to ease the girl back onto the bed. He hadn't really left her side since he brought her there, although Wednesday had. The dark haired girl had stuck around for a moment or two, called him some names after talking to him for like five minutes before leaving. "Nurse said you don't have a concussion, but you probably have a nasty bump, huh?"

"For what?" Hecate questioned, and Xavier raised a brow.

"I...shoved you out of the way and you hit your head-"

"You did?" Hecate asked with a slight tear in her eye, of which Xavier didn't understand why.

"Yeah. I mean, not just because you're my friend but i had a debt to repay."

"What debt?" She questioned before frowning. "The last thing i remember was staring at the gargoyle, thinking maybe i had served my purpose for this lifetime..."

"Which was?"

"I don't know." Hecate whispered, her eyes feeling a little glossy as she realised she had no purpose. She was living every day with no end goal in sight, and it slightly scared her. "Why did you save me, Xavi?"

"Like i said, i had a debt to repay, also. Besides, i couldn't see you get hurt not when i haven't told you how i-" Xavier cut himself off before he said too much, but as he glanced at her puzzled but adorable face he wanted to cave and tell her everything.

"What debt?"

"You don't remember me from when we met before."

"We've met before?" Hecate gasped, her eyes wide but her brows were furrowed.

"I was about, this high-" Xavier used his hand to show the golden haired girl how tall he was. "-well, about two feet shorter, forty pounds heavier-"

"What happened? What did i do?"

"It...it was my godmother's funeral." The boy began and Hecate desperately wracked her brain for ideas as to whose funeral she had attended that she would have met this boy, but nothing came to mind. She was forced to go to many funerals as a child and into her early teens. "Apparently she was friends with your grandmother and they spent their twenties together in Europe, swindling the rich and notorious." With a soft chuckle, Xavier shrugged and glanced at Hecate who made the concentrational face that he found cute. "I don't know, but we were ten and we were bored. Your sister was there, too. We decided to play hide and seek."