30

~~ please comment and vote ~~

Hecate sat in the Nightshade Library, and flashlight that lit up the room slightly sat next to her, sifting through every book she could get her hand on. Most of the purple-backed books were journals from past generations of the Nightshade society. She frowned and furrowed her brows as she sighed, flipping over the cover of yet another book.

"Why is there nothing about Morta?" She asked herself, standing and dusting herself off. She scuffed her white boots against the cold tiles of the floor, heading towards the bookshelf she was currently getting the journals from. She placed the book back into the slot and rubbed her slightly dust-covered hands onto her mustard yellow crop-cardigan. Her baggy sleeves gave her little comfort - of which it normally does - whilst she practically drowned herself in the handwritten words of the journals, wanting answers.

With a sigh, Hecate moved her hand up and grabbed the next book, of which had G.A engraved on it.

"Goody?" She whispered, trailing a gentle finger over the letters before she walked back to the middle of the library and sat down. She made sure to pull up the clothing of her yellow, long-length skirt up a little to enable her to cross her legs comfortably. She took in a deep breath, letting her hope for answers within the pages of the journal fill her as she flipped over the pages, reading the words like they were the only thing keeping her alive.

An hour had passed before Hecate made it to the centre of the book - which was thicker than all the others - and her eyes widened, knowing why.

""Morta was a witch of undeniable power, more so than I, her twin sister"." She began to read, using her finger to guide herself through the sentences of just one of the two pages in the book that seemed to have anything about Morta Addams. ""She loved to be mysterious and dark, to not let anyone see the layers of her soul that laid beneath the thick of the skin"." Hecate grimaced and looked up from the book for a moment, staring dead ahead of her as though someone was there. "That's kinda fucked. How lonely was that woman?" She asked no one before returning her gaze to the book and continuing to read. ""My sister turned to the dead to try and fuel the fire in our stomachs created by Crackstone...but my dear twin spent too much time there and i feared she fell in love with a ghost from the other side"." Hecate shivered, hoping to god she wasn't anything to do with that. Nevertheless, she opened her mouth to continue reading. ""Her infatuation with the dead only increased and Morta began spending less and less time in the walking realm, as i call it"."

Scratching. That's all Hecate could suddenly hear bar her own, soft breaths in the silence of the Nightshade library. It sounded much like the scratching of metal grinding against stone. Was someone there?

When no footsteps occured afterwards, Hecate shook her head and deemed herself to be hearing things, freaking herself out for no reason. Perhaps it was because she was alone in a dimly lit, cold and silent library?