Chapter Eleven

ROSS

It's been a week that Rocky was gone now. I think that my period of mourning starts to be over. Riker is here to help me, and I almost don't need to hold back the tears anymore when I hear his name. Well in fact, we avoid talking about him, it's a sensitive subject. We both feel guilty, we abandoned him after all...

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Riker gets me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing special..."

"Everything's okay then?" He smiles, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah we can say so..." I smile back.

"Great!" He releases me and we keep on walking.

Despite the fact that we are only two now, I think that we get by pretty well for the patrols, but we still avoid the fights with strong Infecteds when they are more than two, it would be too risky.

Today, we went to the East side, instead of going to the South, to change. We've never gone to this zone before, and it's quite quiet. We have seen 5 Infecteds this morning, 4 weaks and a strong one, it wasn't hard to eliminate them. We just finished the lunch break and started patroling again.

"We should come here more often, it seems more quiet. "

"Yeah, maybe..." Riker answers, looking at everything around us.

It's completly incredible, he analyses everything, just in case that some Infecteds would show up. I see cars, he sees hiding places, I see a bin, he see a potential weapon. He's really impressive. Without him, we would have never managed to defeat them, his strategies are always awesome.

"Riker, seriously, you're such a genius."

"What?" He's still observing.

"I was saying..."

I'm cut off by a scream, but it's not an Infected.

It's the human scream.

A girl.

We immediatly stop.

"What did..."

"We have to see!" I shout , rushing toward the screams.

I'm running as fast as I could, I hear Riker yell my name, telling me to stop. But I don't. I ran faster, even if I'm already breathless. We are not alone! I've been waiting for this moment to happen for so long!

I don't hear my brother anymore, I should have lost him. I feel guilty during a second to have left him alone, but my instinct gets back on top, and it's telling me to find this person. I hear screams again, but much more closer, I speed up. I bring the gun out of my belt and take out the trigger guard. I come out on another street, led by the screams.

I catch sight of a strong Infected which is getting closer to something on the ground.
It's a blond girl, maybe my age, who is desperately searching for her weapon on the floor. She has blood on her face, but no wound or bruise.

I don't hesitate a second. I aim the Infected and fire. It stops, and collapses on the concret, a bullet in its head. I run toward the girl.

"Hey, are you okay? My name is..."

"Stay where you are!"She shouts. She's pointing her gun, that she has found again apparently, on my chest. I back up and raise my arms up.

"Hey, relax..."

"Don't move!"

I get a grip on myself and decide to aim her as well. She has mess hair, a black outfit and wonderful green eyes.

Wait, did I just say wonderful?

Yes, she's a beauty. No not a beauty like the one in magazines, she's beautiful, really beautiful.

Too bad that she's glaring at me and threatening to take me out.

"I just saved your life, you could be a bit more grateful. "I tell her.

"I didn't need you!" She replies.

"That's funny, but I would have not said that when I heard you scream!" I start to get angry.

"Listen, you idiot, it's not because I'm a girl that I can't defend myself!"

"That's not what I said!"

"Pfff... Guys are all the same!" I roll my eyes.

"You're seriously getting on my nerves..."

"It's mutual."She answers, sarcastic.

"Listen, all I want it's..."

Suddenly, I hear noises of hurried footsteps on the concret, I turn around although the nutcase is aiming me with her gun. She would fire, she could perfectly do it and kill me, but if it's an Infected, I know she would help me.

But it's not an Infected.

It's another girl.

It's Rydel.

Short chapter again sorry😁 but I decided to stop here, or it would have been too long! I wrote this chapter in four page on the book where I write this fanfic, and the next chapter took nine pages😂 so it will be longer and better I promise😛!
Thanks for reading☺️, and sorry for the mistakes😁.