Chapter 47

ROSS

Nobody came first.

For a short moment, panick overwhelmed my body. Have they moved? It couldn't be. My rational side resurfaced. This place is too awesome to be left. And, I recalled I saw the car parked in the barn, as usual. They wouldn't have gone away without it. So that meant they went out patrolling. But as I noticed before, they never go in town by feet. We always used the car.

They are necessarily inside.

To tell the truth, I didn't knock very loud. They probably didn't hear me.

I nervously bite my lower lips as I look up at the impressive facade for the third time, to be really sure I was at the right place, even if I knew deep inside I didn't make a mistake. Here's the familial house I've been living in for a couple of weeks.

"Are you sure it's there at least?" Ellington asks behind my back with an impatient tone.

"Of course I am."

"Knock again then!"

I turn toward him a pout on my face. He is standing after the few stairs of the porch besides Derek. He gives me a reassuring smile, and encourage me to go ahead with a sign.

I then face the still closed door again, swallowing hard, and knock, way more intensively than before, but you can tell I'm still holding back my bangs. I press my shaky hand along my body once I'm done.

Why am I so afraid to meet my siblings again?

Long seconds pass, that appear to be an eternity. Which doesn't sort my already nervous state out. Ellington and Derek impatiently move behind my back, but all of us stay silent. So silent that we eventually hear steps in the house, moving toward us. Quietly. Carefully.

Another pause follows. We all don't dare to breath, afraid to break the peacefulness of the nature surrounding us. Afraid to prompt a cataclysm if we say a single word.

The knob turns slowly, way too slowly. It's like it's made to torture me even more.

The door eventually open onto Hailey, as beautiful as ever, despite her messy hair. She gasps slightly. We both stare at each other intensily, our mouth wide open. None of us thought we'd meet. I expected one of my siblings, she expected someone, or something else. I should be dead, or wander somewhere, like the lost Infected I was supposed to become.

The loud sound of a slap breaks the silence that fell upon us. I bring my hand to my burning and painful cheek, once I understand I'm the one who's been slapped. By my crush. For the second time. I climbed down the few steps in the heat of the moment. It made the pain I felt from Derek's gun hit resurfaces.

I have a real way with girls, it's amazing.

Everything happens fast afterward. I barely catch a glimpse of Rydel at the door frame, as shock that I am after this slap, that I'm crashed into a hug by her (a/n: does it even means something? Lol. I think I read that somewhere). She holds me so tight I have trouble breathing.

"Oh my god Ross! You're alive! You're alive!" She keeps on repeating, yelling on my ears.

"I-I can't be breath Rydel." Is all I can let out. First time I see her after my sudden departure, and it's all I have to say.

It's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

She releases me a couple of seconds though, only to grab my face and kiss my cheeks repeatedly, like the loving and protective sister she always has been. I feel her tears, of joy I hope, wetting them as she does so.