Chapter 63

Filler chapter ahead👇

ROCKY

I drop down the heavy box I'm carrying, and I huff loudly in annoyance, as I wipe the sweat dripping on my forehead with the back of my hand. This isn't very hygienic, but I don't have a choice. Sweat makes me feel gross. I'm quite lucky though, today isn't as hot as an usual summer day. The grey cloud have darkened the sky since this morning, when I started to clean up this huge and dirty building. It rained lightly as well, and you can feel a chill breeze from time to time. Not that I can make the most of it though, I'm punished and have to do my chores. Which is, may I add, very exhausting, and it results in me sweating like an elite athlete after his intensive training. I sweat less than I usually do, but still. The warehouse I'm taking care of looks like it hasn't been used for years : a lot of dust and dirt, and a bunch of old objects, each more useless than the next. But I respect the orders, like the good little soldier I am. Select and clean Lynch, just keep whatever we can keep, and throw away whatever we can't.

I scrunch up my nose in disgust when I realise my t-shirt is also soaked. The wet line I feel in between my shoulder blades all down to my belt makes me shiver. I might as well throw my t-shirt away while I'm at it. Perspiration implies bad smell, and seeing how hot I'm feeling right now, I must smell really bad. This is a good thing no one is helping me in the end.

If only I knew sneaking out of the Community would lead me to this... I would've thought twice about it (A/N: yep, the name of the camp, very original😂. I'll edit later in the previous chapters) I can't complain much though, I'd rather clean than being kicked out. Besides, Ethan and Maddy warned me. I'm the only one to blame, me and my stubbornness. I broke the rules, I got what I deserved. Every morning since I got out of isolation, I make for the building where Davis' office is, and the tall muscular guy who welcomed me the day I met the boss gives me the instructions. I've been busy with this warehouse for 3 days straight now, and I'm struggling still to end it.

The good thing though, is that they don't tell me how much time I should  dedicate myself to the chore. As long as I do it, they're pleased. And since this is the middle of the afternoon already, and that I'm all alone, no one would judge me or tell me off for my brief laziness if I give myself a break. I know, the faster I'll get done with it, the less time I'll have to deal with it, but the stiffnesses began to martyr my muscles. I need some fresh air.

I make for the double door and push it open. I shield my eyes used to the darkness, as I step outside. Once I'm used to the new brightness, I look up, to notice that the sky is less grey than before. Good thing, it won't rain while I'll be walking. I dust my clothes as I move forward. I barely made a few meters I'm disturbed already. My tranquility didn't last long. I roll my eyes as I hear the footsteps coming to my direction. They shoot wide open when I look up and that they land on the person in front of me. I hope deep down inside my heart that she haven't seen me did what I just did.

"What are you doing out there, Rocky?" Davis looks at me up and down, when he arrives by my side. A discreet blush creeps on my cheeks.

"Hum, I've been working for a long time now. I'm taking a little break, just a few minutes really. It's very dusty in there, I needed some fresh air, but I'll go back to work soon, I swear." I ramble, pointing at the building in our back. Sensing my distress, Davis' features soften, and he adopts a reassuring tone.

"You don't have to justify yourself. As long as you do it, it's fine by me. Have you eaten at least?" I unvonluntary hold my stomach, and shake my head. I've been so busy thinking and selecting that I forgot to go out for lunch. Davis sighs, and passes an arm around my shoulder, to make me move along with him.