Chapter 53

HAILEY

It's been a matter of seconds.

I couldn't face my imminent death. Dying because of an unstable boy, after all these months fighting against Them? Surviving despite the constant danger? I just couldn't. He barely pulled the trigger my eyes were already closed tightly. A cold shiver runs down my spine, and I helplessly shield my face with my hands in search of protection. The shot rips through the air, in a deafening silence.

At first, there wasn't no throbbing pain felt on my body, I didn't back up under the blow, in the heat of the moment. The adrenaline maybe? I heard it could have this effect. My eyes opened, and scan my immaculate chest.

Screams bring me back to reality. My head shoot back at where the boy once stood, to see he's now on the ground, Ross straddling him.

I want to turn aside to not witness this terrible scene, but an unknown strength prevent me to do so, and my legs are pinned down to the concret. Ross' features are distorted by anger, as he knocks down the grip of the own boy's rifle over and over again on his face. He unleashes his sudden rage and takes it out on him, smashing his skull in a muffled sound. He's grinding his teeth, messy blond hair sticking on his sweaty forehead.

The first blow must have been lethal. He doesn't make a move. The grip sinks more and more deeply in his face, his blood spreading on the concret underneath and drops scattering in the air, with other disgusting body part I won't name. Ross doesn't even notice some has landed on his own face.

This is one of the scariest thing I've watched in my life. I'm stuck on the spot, my mouth opened in a gasp. We all stare at the scene in a oppressive silence, powerless.

All of a sudden, a muffle sound is heard, and Ross rolls his eyes, before falling forward on the corpse, unconscious. It reveals me Heather behind, holding her baseball batt in her quivering hands. She eventually drops what helped her stopping Ross, gasping in horror.

"Oh my god, I killed him! I killed him!" She begins panicking, covering her mouth as tears brim her eyes. Derek and Riker immediately engulf her in their arms as her legs wobble under the emotion and stress.

"No, no, no, you did well don't worry." Riker soothes her, as he glances worriedly at his brother over her shoulder. Ratliff quickly pace toward him as no one was budging, and grab his t-shirt, making his body turn so that he'll be laying on his back. He presses two fingers on his neck.

"I can feel his pulse, it's all right, Heather, just relax." He then gently passes his hand behind his head, a frown on his face.

"No cut, he'll be fine. He's tough."

"Are you sure?" Rydel, who is taking care of Jessica and Todd, says. She's doing her best to avoid the dead corpse with the rutted skull next to her brother, covering the kids' eyes as well.

"He is." He stands up, and nervously rubs his hands on his jeans. "Well, this has been pretty demanding. We'll need find shelter quick, and rest, yeah? Ross needs to recover."

"He isn't our main priority." Sam I think, glares. Ratliff ignores his remark, and nods at Ryland.

"Can you help Hailey to lift him up please?" He doesn't need to be asked twice, and rush toward his big brother body, pushing people on his way aside.

I still don't reckon what just occurred. Ross totally lost it, for me? He risked his life to save mine. I would've not have the courage to act the same way. He threw himself on this crazy dude as he was shooting, he could've been hurt. And all of this for me?

"Hailey, are you all right? I need your help here." Ryland gets me out of my thoughts. He has lift Ross'upper body already putting his arms around his shoulder, his head weakly falling backward, and mouth slightly open. I shake my head, and pace toward him.