Chapter 58

(Little note: maybe the name of the guns mentioned are in French, and not in English)

ELLINGTON

"This is bad."

"We have to be positive." I reply at Ryland's comment. I gaze at the threathing grey clouds that fill up the sky through the door frame.

"The sun's well hidden and it's gonna rain. This is bad, Ratliff."

"We can't stay any longer though."

"Why not?"

"We need to get to that refuge. Everyone's tired. We may have found a lot of supplies lately, but we'll be running out low sooner or later."

I close the double wings door, and push the couch in front of it to barricade it, even though we're going to hit the road soon. People might say I'm paranoid, but I regard myself as prudent. Ryland and I both instinctively head for the bar, where we placed all of our arms. Derek is finishing scrubbing one when we arrive. He puts it down on the counter and wipes his forehead.

"I never thought I'd say that, but we have too many. We can't carry them all." My friend nods at the pile of weapons, as he leans in the counter.

"What? But, we made it so far."

"We have brand new stuffs, remember? I'm afraid we'll have to leave some here. Either it's the food, or the guns. It's up to you." I fold my arms across my chest, and let out a heavy breath as I cogitate about this situation. I feel their gaze weighting on me.

"We'll give a weapon to everyone." Derek gives me an encouraging nod, approving my suggestion, as Ryland eyes us with a confused look.

"What, even the little ones?Do they even know how to use a gun?"

"Yes, we taught them." Derek answers.

"I don't know about Todd though, but according to what Ross said, he can as well. It won't be a problem."

"Why didn't we give them some before then?"

"Cause I don't want kids to use these things. They shouldn't experience this." I grab my gun that I spotted in the middle of the pile, and shove it in my belt, behind my back.

"Otherwise, everything's ready?" I question Derek.

"It is."

"Great. Everyone!" I put my hands around my mouth to catch everyone's attention, wandering everywhere in the building." Come here!"

After a minute or so, the whole group is standing in front of us, waiting patiently for my usual instructions. I observe with rapture that everybody is all ready, and that we'll be able to get going as soon as the layout of the weapons will be over.

"I know you have a lot to carry already with the backpacks, but today, I'll give each of you an arm to protect yourself. You have ammo on them already, and you have some on your backpack. Save them though."

The youngests doesn't hide their enthusiasm, whereas Heather and others elders eyeball me. I hand her a TMP, as she is the first one in line.

"You sure it's a good idea?"

"We collected a lot yesterday, and I thought it'd be pretty stupid of us to leave them here. Besides, I checked the weather outside with Ryland, and it's cloudy. It may rain, which means They can be more numerous than usual. Everyone should be able to defend themselves in case of bad surprise." Heather nods at me, and start examining more attentively the imposing fire gun I entrusted her.

"I'm not sure to know how this works..." She confides with a hesitant tone. I shoot her a smile.

"I wouldn't have given it to you otherwise. It'll be fine."