Chapter 26

ROCKY

I tackle Maddy on the grass before she could catch the ball Ethan threw at her.

"Damn, Rocky!" She exclaims. I look into her brown eyes and let her light smile soothe me. We've been really close lately, but I haven't noticed how her eyes shine on the sunlight.

Taking advantage of my weakness, she turns us around and she's now on top of me, flattening my wrists on the ground. She laughs even more seeing my surprised face.

"Dreaming Lynch?"

I blink a several times to get a grip on myself. What a strange feeling. This weird but pleasurable feeling on my stomach. It's like she hypnotized me.
I stay speechless, staring at her smile.

"Hey, I hope I don't bother you too much." Ethan sighs. He got closer to us to pick up the ball." Lessons are gonna start again, we gotta go."

Maddy gets up and hands her hand to help me to stand up.

"Thanks." I whisper, looking at the ground. I remove the soil on my knees.

"You're welcome." She follows Ethan who is going back in class.

I wait she is away enough to raise my head.

I don't want her to see me blush.

••••••

"Hey, you're okay?" Ethan asks patting my shoulder, a frown on his face.

"Yeah, why?"

"Don't know, you look... Nevermind, it seems you have your head in the clouds." He points out.

"A bit distracted, nothing to worry about. I just hate maths. What about you?" Ethan needs a few seconds to answer.

"Fine."

"Cool. Your lip looks better too." This sentence makes him be quiet. He drops his gaze on his book and starts writing. I shrug and stare at the board full of equations, without trying to undertand them.

It's been like that all day. Being distracted I mean. I can't stop thinking about her smile and her eyes. Everytime she talked to me, smiled at me, I got this feeling again. I felt light. At lunchtime, I couldn't stop looking at her. She even asked me if there was something wrong. Yeah, it was pretty embarassing. What could I have told her, that she's splendid?

She left a hour ago, to go to the hospital. What a shame, I prefer looking at her rather than the board or Mrs Hill trying to learn us useless stuffs.

"Rocky? Hey, Rocky!" Someone snaps his fingers in front of my face. It's Mrs Hill.

"Hum... Sorry..." I rummage about in my pencilcase to find a pen, but she puts her hand on mines to stop me.

"What?" I ask. Mrs Hill nods to Ethan, who comes closer.

"We need to talk." He says in a serious tone.

"About what?"

"What is worrying you?" Mrs Hill looks at me with compassion.

"Nothing!"

"Come on Rocky, you are never distracted, what's going on?"

"Listen, I... I don't really know."
I should tell them after all. They could help me. And their insistent looks are going to break me one day or another.

"Don't know what's happening to me. Since this morning, or maybe longer, I don't know... It's about Maddy. She's awesome and..."

"You mean, you like her more than a friend?" My teacher cuts me off.