Chapter 54

ETHAN

"Hey, it's okay." I reassure a frustrated Dylan, who has crossed his arms on his chest, his guitar flat on his laps." You just started you can't get it right the very first time."

"It's still annoying." He pouts.

"Yeah I know, but if you work on it, it'll pay you'll see. Anyway, it's time for you to head back home. Work as I said, and it'll be fine. Don't hesitate to come if you have a question though, I'll be here as usual."

Dylan smiles and nods at me. We both get up from our chairs, and I put my acoustic guitar aside on its  support, while he puts his in his guitar case, ready to leave the music area in the community center of the camp. Once he's done, he makes for the exit, and turns around before going out to wave at me, which I give back.

Alone at last.

It's not that I don't like seeing people, I really appreciate it, I even considerate being a music teacher once. But when you spend the day teaching, you make the most of this moment of loneliness.

I let out a sigh of relief, and jump off the stage where I often set the chairs for the guitar lessons. I barely make for my laptop to put some music on that there's a knock on the door. I frown, still leaned on the table. I wasn't expecting any visit.

"Come in." I'm puzzled when Zayn's head pass through the door frame. He must have noticed my reaction, because he walks in, and slowly close the door behind his back, his cheeks as red as a tomato.

"You told me I could come today, remember?"

I mentally face palm. How did I forget about that? Maybe I did wanted to. It's always weird when we're both alone in the same room. My mind involuntary erased it from my memory.

"I can leave, if you want." He mutters, ready to exit the room as fast as he came. I don't miss the sheepish air on his face.

"No, no. I just forgot, stay. Have a seat!" I quickly grab two new chairs, and unfold them to settle them in the center of the room. Zayn slowly walks toward me, and eventually sits down, after a few second of hesitation.

"Well." I rubs my hands together." Thought about what you wanna play?"

"Not really."

"You have no idea?" He shakes his head.

"But you could show me? I don't know, it's just a suggestion."

I'm not naive, nor stupid. If he came to me all of a sudden, to take music lessons, it's for one particular reason. He wants to make up to me, even a blind person would have foiled. I mean, what could be the best way to get closer to me? I litteraly spend my time doing things related to music, when I'm not on a computer. I would've done the same, and I decided to let him. Some might say I'm too nice, he doesn't deserve this after what he did, but I believe in second chances. Zayn has the right to have his.
I sigh as he nervously scratch his forearm, pout on his lips.

"Okay, sure. If it can help."

I opt for the guitar first, and go back on stage. I feel his eyes piercing my back as I help myself jumping up. I grasp the acoustic one, and pass the strap over my head.

"Should I sing or?" I ask, unsure. He gives me a huge genuine grin. It is so much better than his fake and insolent smirk.

"Sure! You sing well!" A compliment, from Zayn. I never thought this day would ever happen.

Of course dumbass he has a crush on you!

Just don't blush Ethan.

I lower my head to hide my cheeks warming up, pretending to check the instrument is tuned by strumming the strings. People rarely compliment me, and I feel rather strange inside . My parents would a lot of course, I'm their son. Who doesn't think their child is the smartest, more good looking, kindest, and everything that goes? It's always heart warming when it comes from someone else, even if this person happens to be your former bully.