Part 12

You were sat in front of the mirror that morning, looking at the large bruise on your neck. It was already turning blue and purple and you brought your fingers up to touch it, wincing when you felt pain. Natasha walked in just then, her gaze immediately going to you and her eyes widened when she saw the bruise.

"Shh!" You gestured at her to be quiet and she stepped in and closed the door before she rushed to your side.

"What happened?"

"It doesn't matter now. Help me put this on." You wrapped the necklace around your neck, moving your hair so Natasha could help you. You pulled on it slightly, feeling it only add more to the pain with how tight around your neck it was. You looked at the mirror and adjusted it, so it would completely cover the bruise.

"The King and Queen expect to see you at brekfast." She said, adjusting your hair. You already got dressed alone.

"I will not have breakfast." You said, rising from your chair and smoothening your dress.

"Prince Tony said-"

"I don't care." You interrupted her, meeting her gaze in the mirror. "I've had enough of Starks telling me what to do."

Natasha closed her mouth and nodded. You only turned and walked away from her, walking down the staircase and by the dining hall, going outside. Your gaze soon met Loki's, who just returned from riding his horse. You walked towards him and your eyes widened when you saw which horse it was.

"My girl!" You laughed, petting the horse, who relaxed under your touch and let you pet her. "You brought her here?"

Loki smiled as he moved to stand next to you, his gaze never moving off your face and the grin you had on it. "I thought you'd appreciate it."

You nodded and turned to glance at him for a moment before you turned to look back at the horse. "I do. Thank you, Loki. I missed her."

"Did something happen to you, my lady?" He asked, eyeing the necklace on you.

"What do you mean?" You asked him, confused, before you continued to pet the horse.

"You're not a fan of the jewellery." He noticed, gesturing at the necklace with his eyes.

You let out a chuckle, waving it off. "I only decided to try something new. Why, do you not like it?" You asked, trying to lie your way out of the situation. If Loki knew what happened, you had no doubts he would go as far as attacking the prince.

"I think you look beautiful in everything, my lady. I was only wondering." He replied before he took your hand and placed a kiss on it, maintaining eye contact with you."I am sorry about your ruined engagement. I never expected that from the Prince Alistair. But perhaps, I should congratulate you on your new engagement."He said and your face changed its expression. "You will be the future Queen now."

"There is nothing worth congratulating, my lord." You replied and walked away from the horse. Loki followed after you, and a few boys immediately rushed to the horse to lead her back.

Loki appeared by your side and you walked into the castle together."Are you not happy with your engagement?"

"Do I look happy?"

He was about to answer when the door to the dining hall opened and Alistair walked out, his gaze meeting yours. You drew a sharp breath when you saw him. He looked like he hadn't slept the whole night, his eyes were red and swollen. "Y/N." He breathed out.

You looked away when he started to approach you. Loki, feeling the tension in the air, excused himself and walked back outside, leaving you alone. "Can we talk?" He asked, eyeing the bruise under your necklace. His fists clenched and he wished for nothing more than to go back to the dining hall and make his brother pay for hurting you.

"We can not be seen talking in public."You said, looking around to make sure the hallway was empty.

"I only wish to apologize." He said.

"I know it wasn't your fault." You said."But I must go now. "

He stood still for a few moments, watching as you simply passed by him and walked away. He sighed before he rushed after you.

You barely walked into your chambers and sat down on the bed when Alistair barged in, slamming the door closed behind himself. You stood up abruptly and your lips parted in surprise. "Alistair? What are you doing?"

You watched him as he walked towards you and knelt in front of you.

"What are you doing? Get up, you can't be here."

"I'm begging you to take me back."He said, looking down at the floor while you shook your head.

"You know that is not up to me."

"I do not wish to marry your sister, as you do not wish to marry my brother. You saw last night what he is capable of doing." He said, then looked up at you. "I love you. Take me back and we can run away. I do not care about the crown anymore."

Your face showed surprise and he saw you sat down on the bed, only looking down at him. "I can't."You whispered.

He nodded his head, trying to stop the tears that were forming in his eyes."I understand. Know that I will always be by your side, as your closest ally. My loyalties lay with you, not your sister or my brother."

He took your hand and placed a soft kiss on the back of your palm before he got to his feet. "You should leave. We can't be seen here. People will talk if they see you in my chambers."

Alistair nodded, looking at you one more time before he walked out.

Later that day, you were walking in the garden with Natasha when you caught sight of a girl. You didn't know why she got your attention, but there was something about her. "Who is that?" You asked Natasha, gesturing at the brunette across the garden.

"That is Lucy. She's a simple maiden, my lady. Why?"

"I don't know."You replied.

Natasha's face changed the expression and her voice dropped to a whisper."Well, there were talks, my lady."

"What kind?"

"People are saying she's the one that caught Prince Tony's attention."Natasha confessed, making you look at her. "She was in service of Lady Wanda, but she dismissed her."

You bit on the inside of your cheek."So, that is her."She met your gaze across the garden and curtsied to you. "I must admit my future husband has no taste."

Natasha only shrugged. "I must agree with that."