Part 19

You arrived back to the castle and, as soon as you left the carriage, you were met with Loki waiting for you. He looked around at all the people that were around you and he knew he could not hug you with half the court, and your future husband, present.

"Loki."You breathed out, relieved to finally see a friendly face.

"My lady."His lips curved into a smile."I see you've returned alive and in one piece."Then, he saw the look on your face and his smile disappeared."Are you alright?"

"I am."You nodded, knowing everybody else could hear you right now, but the look you gave Loki told him everything he needed to know."We will talk later."You whispered to him before you made your way to the castle.

Immediately, you and Tony were approached by the Queen's lady in waiting. "My Prince. Duchess. The Queen asked to see you, immediately."

You shared a look with Tony, who looked just as confused as you were."What is going on?" He asked the woman.

"I'm afraid I don't know, my Prince. Private matters, I presume."She said and Tony nodded.

Both of you followed her to the Queen's chambers. Upon entering them, you found the Queen writing letters while she was sat in a chair. She looked up at the two of you and a small smile appeared on her face."You're here already."She said.

"You asked to see us, mother."Tony said as the woman left her chair and stood in front of you now.

"Yes, yes I did."She said, wondering where to start. It was not easy to tell you about this."The King is not in a good condition, I'm afraid."

"What?"Tony asked."Can I see him?"

The Queen shook her head. "No, that is not possible now. He was shot by an arrow in the chest. We were lucky it did not pierce his heart, but it got infected very quick and the infection is spreading through his body."She said."He is not allowed visits. But while I was by his side, he made me promise him to tell you both this. It is his wish, and I hope you will make it come true."

You and Tony shared a look and nodded. "Of course. We'll do what we need to."

"Seeing as he is in a bad state, the healers are not certain he will survive this. This is why he had to make this decision, otherwise we would look vulnerable in the eyes of the world. The King's wish was that you have to be married tomorrow, so that if anything happens to the King, he has a strong succesor."

"Mother, I-" Tony looked at you, at loss for words. "We were not expecting this."

"This is too fast, and we're not sure the King will not be able to survive this. Give him a few days for recovery."You argued as well, but the woman only shook her head.

"It has to happen tomorrow. I've made the final preparations and I'm sending invites to other houses now. You two should go now and prepare yourselves too."

There were many things you wanted to say at this moment, but you bit your tongue and looked down, curtsying to the Queen before you left the chambers. As soon as you walked into your own, you felt like you could scream. Now you were sure there was no way out of this. You had to marry Tony. You sat on your soft bed and pulled your knees to your chest as you started to cry.

You've never felt so alone in your whole life like you did at that moment. You had no allies in the court, except for Loki, but you knew he wouldn't stay there with you forever. He had his own home to return to. You had no one. Your grandmother was far away from you, your own sister turned your back on you, the man you trusted, Alistair, betrayed your trust and the man who you were supposed to marry tried to kill you to get out of this marriage.

You hid your face in your hands and tried to tell yourself to stay strong and that you could get through this, but for some reason you didn't believe it.

The sun had already started to set when the door opened and you saw Loki standing in front of your door."My lady, can we take a walk?"He asked.

You wiped off your tears and nodded before following him out of the castle. It wasn't long before you were by his side and walking in the garden, breathing in the fresh air.

"Would you tell me what happened?"He asked.

"I am to be wed tomorrow."You said and you could feel shivers spreading over your body. Saying it now made you realize you could not stop this, it was too late.

You could see a hurt look flash over Loki's face, but he pretended he was not disappointed by the news."Really?"

You nodded.

"Then I must wish you good luck."Loki said.

"This is not what I wanted."You whispered out."I hate him."

"It is a very rare opportunity that we are granted the chance to do as we wish."Loki said."Perhaps you will grow to love the future King."

You let out a sarcastic chuckle."Right. And then we will live happily ever after. That only happens in the books."

Loki laughed. "Yes, it does. I want you to know my offer still stands."You turned to look at him and Loki whispered."Run away with me. We'll go to a place where nobody knows who we are. And I can imagine the Prince will not look for you. After all, he loves another."

Your lips parted in surprise. You could not believe you were really considering his offer in your head. This was your chance for an escape and to live your life the way you wanted it, not how the others expected you to live it."Loki, I..."

"Let me finish, please, my lady. You're not safe in this marriage and I fear for your safety. Just know that I would never betray you, I am doing this for your own good."

"But why, Loki?"

"Because I am in love with you!"He finally said it and Loki breathed out, relieved."I have been since the day I met you. I always loved you."

You stared at his face for a moment before you pulled him into a hug."Oh, Loki."You whispered as tears ran down your face.

None of you were aware of the Prince watching from his balcony. His hand squeezed the railing as he looked down at you and Loki. His jaw clenched and he did not know why he was angry at the sight before him. He walked away, not being able to look at you any longer, and he found himself seeking company of Lady Lucy yet again.