Part 44

You were making your way to your chambers, passing by Lily's when you heard laughter coming from inside. You took a peek inside, only to find Lily on the floor along with Alistair. They were playing with something, and you leaned against the door as you watched them.

It didn't take long for Lily to notice you and she quickly got up, pulling you to play with them. "Play with me and uncle!"

"I can't, my love." You told her, moving her hair behind her ear. "You can keep playing with your uncle."You noticed Alistair dropped the toy and stared at you, his eyebrows raising.

"But I wish you could play as well."

"I know, my love, but we'll play later."You told her.

"Did you know uncle is the father of my cousin, Sebastian?" She asked you and you let out a chuckle, trying not to feel guilty when you thought of Rose and her son.

"Yes, I do know that."You told her." I will leave you two to play now."

You quickly left her chambers, still feeling Alistair's gaze on you. You spent the rest of the day in your chambers, hoping to avoid Alistair, but just when the night fell he entered your chambers. You stood up from your chair, a surprised look on your face.

"I've missed you." He said as he closed the door and approached you. "Did you know I've thought about you each night I was away from here? I was dreaming of this moment, anticipating it for so long."

"This is still inaproppriate." You spoke, interrupting him. "I am married to your brother and I love him. For God's sake, we have a family together. I don't think about you in that way anymore."

"Are you sure?" He took only one step forward and you found yourself almost being unable to breathe. "I am sure your body still reacts to me the way it used to."

You looked up at him when he stood in front of you. You were pressed against the table and he placed his hands on your waist before he moved it to cup your cheeks.

"See?" He asked and you gulped.

His face started lowering towards yours and you did nothing to stop him. Perhaps, after how you were treated, a small part of you wanted this. That was why you allowed Alistair to kiss you, his gentle lips touching yours. He breathed out, finally feeling what he was craving for years. He dreamed of this moment, and now it was finally here. It was real.

He kept kissing you, until you finally realized what you were doing and pulled away. That was the first time Alistair saw you panic. You looked nervously around your chambers, trying to think of what to do.

"Oh, God. Oh, God." You started wiping your lips with your sleeve and Alistair's eyebrows furrowed. "What did I just do?"

"I kissed you." Alistair said.

"Why would you do that? I am married to your brother!"

"Open your eyes, Y/N." Alistair snapped. "I would never treat you as he does, and you know it. He willingly causes you pain. Nothing has changed all those years. He hurts you again and again, and you put up with him."

"Because he is my husband."

"I was supposed to be your husband!"

"Well, this all happened because of your mistake!" You raised your voice at him. "You did this."

"Look, I know I-"

"No. Please don't say anything anymore." You quickly interrupted him. "Just go."

"Is that what you want me to do?"

"Yes, please. Leave me alone." He let out a scoff and shook his head.

"As you wish, Your Majesty." He said in a sarcastic tone before he bowed his head and went to leave your chambers, but just as he turned, you spoke again.

"You should visit Rose and your son. They need you more." You said. He only stood there for a few moments, his back turned towards you, before he simply walked out, the doors closing after him.

You sat back down on your chair, trying to catch air as you thought about what just happened and what he just told you. You didn't be alone for long, though, because the doors opened and Tony walked in, approaching your table immediately.

"Tony, is something wrong?" You stood up.

He shook his head. "I'm here to talk to you."

Somehow, his words made you anxious. Bile has risen up your throat and you were moments away from throwing up.

"What happened?"

"I've spent the whole day thinking about... us, our marriage and... well, everything."He met your gaze, but quickly looked away. "I've realized, after yesterday, that you're no longer happy with me-"

"Tony, no-"

He quickly interrupted you. "Don't try to make me feel better, Y/N. I know you're not happy. I can see it on you. Not as happy as you used to be, anyway. And I know that is my fault. That is why I have to pay the price for my actions. As much as I love you, I still want you to be happy, not tied down to me. "

"What are you talking about?"

"I, uh... I know Alistair still loves you and, maybe, there is a small part of you that loves him. And I want you to know I give you permission to be with him. I know he will take care of you and that you will be happy with him. Even though only the thought of it pains me." He wiped the tear that escaped from his eye and your heart broke at the sight. "Just know I will love you. As long as I live, I will love you. Thank you for being by my side and giving me two beautiful daughters. I will go now and you can think about this." He took a step closer to you, and you were even more surprised when he placed a kiss on your forehead. He turned around to go then and you could see him wipe another tear before he left your chambers.

You sat back on the chair, wondering what happened.