Part 45

You couldn't find Tony anywhere after that. You were told by a guard he left the castle, going somewhere with his horse without anyone with him. The news came to you late in the night, that your husband was injured, but nobody knew by who. He took a similar wound that his father did, too close to his heart. You sat by his side that night, crying as you two were alone in the room. You took his hand in yours and brought it up to place a kiss on it.

"I would never choose him." You whispered. "It's you who I love. Nothing else matters. Wake up for me." Your hand came up to cup his cheek, carefully watching for any signs, any reaction from him, but nothing came. He didn't wake up.

And the night after that one. And the following night. Three weeks passed since then.

You were sat behind a table, hand placed on your growing stomach, just barely into your fourth month of pregnancy, your eyes focused on the crown set at the center of the table. Tony's crown.

"I've refused you for, what is this, fifth time already?" Alistair asked. "Instead of asking me to take my brother's throne, you should be making sure he recovers." You could barely hear them argue anymore. The Council meetings were getting longer and longer each day, and you were wondering how Tony had the strength to deal with them multiple times a week.

"We are worried for the King's recovery and we are doing the best we can." The healer, that Lord Marcus dragged to the meeting only so he could support his cause, said.

"But there is a possibility of the King-"He trailed off and looked at you, whose gaze was focused on the floor, your eyes red and swollen. He didn't want to add to your pain. "We have to, even if it is only temporary. The throne can't stay empty."

"And I have to, yet again, refuse."Alistair said, looking at you.

"Considering the King does not have any male heirs, we could choose your son-" Another lord began, but Alistair interrupted him.

"You will leave my son out of this. He is not nearly old enough for your schemes." He glanced at you again."You've got your ruler already. Would you rather an infant sit on your throne, than the wife of your King?"

"That would mean the Queen has to become a Queen regnant and we haven't had that in... well, our whole history!"

Alistair took the crown from the centre of the table and looked down at it, as if he was contemplating taking it for himself. After all, it would be everything he fought for before. Maybe if it was old Alistair, he would've took it without thinking and found a way to make you his, but he knew that was not what you wanted. And he had to admit he changed. He took the crown, bringing it over to you. "Your Majesty..." You looked at him with a confused face, before you felt the weight of the crown on your head.

That was five months ago. Now, your screams spread through the castle as you were held down on the bed by Lucy and Natasha. Natasha had switched the cloth on your forehead for a new one, while you screamed at the midwife between your legs.

"I will fucking end all of you!" You screamed at her. "Why is it not coming out yet? I've been pushing all night!"

"We do not know, Your Grace, but you cannot stop now." She answered and you were about to scream at her again as you felt the urge to push again, but Natasha placed a cloth between your teeth and you bit onto it as you pushed again, while squeezing their hands.

You tried to catch your breath after pushing, but not for long. You felt the urge to push again as tears slipped out of your eyes. Tony was there with you for each birth, and both of them were hard. Now, he wasn't there and this one seemed to be the worst.

"Fuck!" You screamed out, spitting the cloth out of your mouth as you straightened up, feeling a burning feeling as the baby slowly slipped out of you. You breathed out once you no longer felt the pressure, and heard the baby cry. You fell back against the bed and let out a laugh, watching as they cleaned the baby as best as they could and wrapped it in a blanket. As the midwife approached you, you gave her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry for what I told you."