Two

~Shayla's POV~

"The CEO can't make it. " Audrey told me.

I wanted to quit this moment, realizing that my boss was going to make my life difficult. But I had no choice but to pull through if I wanted to pay off my debts.

I stared at her waiting for an explanation. "Should I give it to him tomorrow?"

She shook her head. "He had an errand that took longer than he expected so he asked me to get the report from you and he'll read it when he gets home."

I nodded and handed her the report.

"Thanks, Ms. Simmons. Enjoy your evening." She said before walking away.

I went back to my office and gathered all my belongings before heading out. I thought my day couldn't get any worse until my car refused to start. I tried and tried and tried but I failed to get it to start. I would have called mechanics to come and fix it but it was 7 p.m.

Why is my life so complicated?

I sighed and took my bags before locking my car. With only one other way to go home, I forced myself to walk to the subway. It was a long, dreadful thirty minutes since I carried my heavy bags and I was already exhausted from all the waiting and pressure I had to do the report.

Luckily I had some money that I was going to use to buy a few groceries to pay for the trip. My feet were aching from walking in my heels and my head was pounding. I then took a twenty-minute walk to reach my apartment from the subway, after a thirty-minute trip.

As soon as I opened the door I heard a deafening scream and footsteps on the tile coming towards me. Within seconds, I was wrapped around by small arms.

"Hi Mase!" I chuckled, rubbing my son's back soothingly. I looked down and met his big green eyes. I ran my fingers through his long curly hair and felt a wave of joy wash over me.

"I missed you, mommy." He smiled, his arms still wrapped around me. He was just below my hips.

Mason is my greatest treasure and definitely the best thing that could have ever happened to me. He gives me motivation to wake up everyday and to work hard. He is my source of strength and without him I wouldn't be the strong willed woman I am today.

"Have you eaten?" I questioned him, putting my bags on the counter.

"Yea - I had noodles." He answered, pouting his lips. "Mommy, can't we have something else to eat. We've been eating noodles only forever now." He complained.

My heart shattered into pieces, feeling guilty and ashamed that I couldn't even afford to buy him a decent meal.

"I'm going to get paid soon then I'll get us the best food, okay?"

He nodded before rushing back to the living room to watch tv.

I took my shoes off and sat down on the couch. I closed my eyes and let out a sigh of relief. It felt like the day was never going to end but I finally made it home.

"Woah, are you okay?" My sister, Brie, questioned, sounding concerned.

My eyes shut open and landed on her. She appeared exhausted with bags under her eyes, her curly hair tied in a messy bun and dressed in her uniform. Apart from studying, she worked two jobs to help pay off our monthly debts.

She was younger than me by two years. She moved in with me in my apartment since she's studying at NYU. We've always had each other's backs from the time we were young to this day. She's the only person I've trusted and the only person who's looked out for me.