Three

~Shayla's POV~

I was typing away on my computer when Brie suddenly barged into my room at our parents house. She was still in her football gear from practice after school. Tears ran down her red cheeks and her hands were visibly trembling.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my stomach clenching.

"I-it's mom and dad." She said, with a shaky voice. "T-they're dead."

A sickening wave of terror welled up from my belly as I struggled to process the news. I stumbled back, losing my balance for a brief moment, my body struck by the sheer force of the unexpected revelation.

"Brie, this better not be another prank of yours." I warned her.

When she shook her head, I felt tears forming in my eyes, unable to think or process this new information.

I suddenly felt like someone was tapping my shoulder.

"Ms Simmons." A woman's voice rang in my head.

As I regained my consciousness, my eyes shut open meeting Audrey's furious ones. My arm hurt from sleeping on it and my neck was sore.

"At last you're awake." She rolled her eyes.

I jolted up and looked at my surroundings, remembering I was in my boss's office at his mansion.

"How could you fall asleep in the boss's office? Do you want to get fired?" She questioned, with a murderous look.

I avoided her eyes and shook my head, feeling embarrassed that she caught me sleeping. "I-I'm sorry, Audrey."

"It's Ms Banks to you." She said, folding her arms. "The CEO won't see you today so you can go home. He is too exhausted from his meeting."

I gawked at her in disbelief. Anger rushed in the moment the shock faded. "How could he-"

She raised her eyebrow at me, warning me about the consequences I could face if I complained again.

I cleared my throat. "What about the report?"

"He says it's good and he will present it at tomorrow's meeting. You're dismissed until further notice."

I heaved a sigh and gathered my belongings. Audrey walked me to my car so I wouldn't get lost on my way out. The freezing, chilly winter's wind blew, making me shiver. I got into my car and turned the AC on to warm up. I looked at the watch and it was almost midnight. The drive home was quicker than usual since there was no traffic at this time. Brie and Mason were already asleep. After eating noodles, I went straight to bed, hopeful that tomorrow will be a better day.

***

The next morning I woke up with a headache that would not leave. I would have taken painkillers but I was afraid that they were going to make me drowsy while at work. I got Mason ready for school and dropped him off at school and quickly took Brie to her campus. She had a test to write that contributed 60% of her grade for the module.

"Thanks, Ayla. I'll see you later." She said, getting out of the car.

"Go and ace that test." I cheered her on. She gave me a small smile before closing the door and waving goodbye.

I watched her walk away until she disappeared into the building. I drove away and rushed to the office. On my way, I walked past the receptionist I met on the first day.

"Good morning, Angela." I greeted her and she gave me a fake smile in return.

I rolled my eyes at her rude behaviour and walked to the elevator. As I reached to press the button there were a bunch of bodyguards who walked past me. They were surrounding someone, making me wonder who they were protecting. In the middle, I spotted a tall man with neatly gelled-back dark brown hair. He was dressed formally in a black suit and he seemed to have a fit, well-proportioned body. One of his bodyguards stood next to him, making it impossible for me to see his face.

"That's the CEO. He uses his own lift to go to his office." A voice who I recognized as Brittanys, said beside me.

I turned to face her. "Why does he have so many bodyguards?"

"He's the wealthiest man in all of New York and his family is part of the top ten wealthiest families in the world, according to Forbes. He owns many hotels, restaurants, airports, luxury brands and even an NBA team."

I nodded.

No wonder why he was so inconsiderate and ruthless. He was born into wealth and fed with a silver spoon his entire life. I despised rich people because they always thought the world revolved around them. Theyre selfish people who only care about themselves.

As soon as I got to my office, I found hot, delicious smelling coffee waiting on my desk. It was probably Timothy. I started working on a few things when Timothy came rushing in with a panicked look.

"Hey, Tim-"

"You have to go to the boardroom now. The CEO has requested your presence." He informed me, loosening his tie.

My eyes widened in horror. "B-but I have no business being there. I thought the report was okay."

He shrugged. "Maybe one of the shareholders has a question." He suggested.

I heaved a sigh and got up from my chair. I followed him to the boardroom, taking deep breaths in and out to ease my nerves. The boardroom was on the same floor as the CEO's office. As soon as we reached it, Timothy knocked on the door before opening it.

"Good Morning ladies and gentlemen. Mr. Donato, this is our accountant, Ms. Shayla Simmons."

My breath hitched in my throat when he mentioned the CEO's name. Could it be him?

I walked into the boardroom. There were men dressed in expensive suits and a few women elegantly dressed in dresses, coats and fancy jewelry, making me feel small. It felt like the world had come to a standstill, when my suspicions were confirmed. My heart was beating in my throat and my eyes widened in disbelief, when my eyes landed on him.

Surprise had taken control of my body, threatening to spill from my lips in an uncontrollable gasp. Looking into those familiar green-blue orbs, put a dizzy spell over me. The tension in the air was thick enough to be cut with a knife.

He's my CEO?

My past was back to haunt at the worst possible time. Now that I need the job more than ever, it turns out he's my CEO? What game is the universe playing now?

A/N:

Sweet Jesus! Imagine finding out your ex is your boss.. I swear life always throws challenges at you that make you question life itself. I'm not just referring to the book but real life. Sometimes you'll just question why certain things happen at certain times. Like the universe can be wild sometimes, haha.

Anyway, Shayla is in a really tough position here. What would you guys do if you're ex was your boss?

Thanks for reading guys!

Xo,

Gigi♡