Ten

~SHAYLA'S POV~

***TWO WEEKS LATER***

Two weeks had passed and everything was normal. I got my car back and I couldn't be happier to have my independence back. I missed driving to the office on my own rather than Samuel or Ace taking me to the office. I would be lying if I said I didnt enjoy the trips Ace and I took together.

He was really doing everything in his power to get us back together even though I still resisted his charms. It was getting harder and harder not to fall for him. Even if I tried to avoid him, I was always forced to see him whether I liked him or not. I had to see him at work, when he comes to visit Mason or when I take Mason to his mansion for the weekend. He insisted on transferring Mason to a private school for more kids who had famous or wealthy parents. I was against it but he convinced me that it would be better for his education.

At work, we discovered that Audrey is the one whod been stealing from the company. It turns out that she had actually stolen close to thirty million dollars over a period of six months. The police got involved, issuing a warrant for her arrest but she had disappeared. The search for her continued but no one has been able to trace up to now. She turned out to be more dangerous than we thought.

The paparazzi also managed to snap a photo of me, Mason and Ace having dinner at one of his hotels, Donato Hotel and Residence. I recall not wanting to join them for dinner but they both managed to convince me.

"I'm exhausted though, I've had a long day at work and its Friday. I wanted to stay in and watch tv." I argued hoping he'd stop trying to persuade me.

Ace cocked his head to the side. "Come on, don't be like that. One family dinner won't kill you. And it's Friday." His lips twisted.

I heaved a sigh. "Fine, just let me get dressed."

Ace and Mase fist bumped each other making me roll my eyes.

We drove to one of his hotels in his Rolls Royce Cullinan where we were taken to a private room. It was a fun dinner where we bonded together. I enjoyed every bit of it and the food was to die for. Ace knew I was a sucker for steak and he had the chef prepare the best steak in town. He indulged me in the best wine at the hotel's restaurant and also treated Mason to the best chocolate ice cream.

The paparazzi managed to get a few snaps of us outside the hotel just before we got into his car. Now everyone knows that Ace has a son and people think I'm his girlfriend. I didn't want to be in the spotlight but I knew that someday sooner or later, we'd be discovered and theres no turning back. Ace prepared me for it and now I just try to keep our lives as private as possible.

I was on my way home from the shops to buy groceries for the house. Brie was studying for her last exam while Mason was home watching a movie. I asked him if he wanted to buy groceries with me but he refused saying his favourite movie, Spider man, was on.

I saw a huge crowd standing outside our complex. There were firefighters and policemen surrounding the area. I parked my car outside the complex and looked over the crowd. My eyes widened when I saw our apartment block on fire. I spotted Brie in front crying, looking dishevelled. I tried to push through the crowd and got to the front when an officer stopped me from getting past.

"Sorry ma'am, you're not allowed to go through." He warned, holding his arm up to block me from passing.

"That's my sister over there. I need to go to her." I pleaded, tears rolling down my cheeks.

He looked at Brie then allowed me to walk over to her.

"Ayla, thank god you're here." She said in between sobs, giving me a tight hug.

"What happened?" I questioned. "And where's Mase?"

She pulled away from me, her hands trembling. "H-he's still inside."

My breath caught in my throat. "What do you mean he's still in there?"

Before she could reply, I rushed to get inside the building but a firefighter stopped me from going. "Ma'am it's too dangerous to go inside."

"My son is in there." I raised my voice.

I just wanted to go in and save him even if it meant losing my life. It felt like my chances of saving him were getting slimmer and slimmer with every second that passed.

"A man has already gone to try and save him. We can't afford more casualties." He said with a worried look.

"Who?" I questioned.

A tall, dark figure appeared from the building and my eyes lit up when I realised it was Ace. He emerged from the burning building, carrying Mason. He was coughing excessively, covered in smoke and his clothes were ripped showing he had suffered a few burns.

I rushed to them, desperately wanting to make sure they're okay. "Ace, a-are you guys okay?!"

He coughed struggling to speak.

"Mason, are you okay?" I asked, but he laid in Ace's arms unconscious, making me more nervous. I shook his body and he stayed looking lifeless.

I shook him again then he let out a few coughs, making me relieved.

"We're okay." Ace said, offering me a small smile.

"Ma'am, we need to take them to the hospital immediately. They could have suffered severe burns." A woman behind me said.

"I'll go with them." I said and we all got into the ambulance. Brie followed us in my car along with Ace's bodyguards.

***

I was next to Mason's hospital bed, holding his small hand in mine tightly as if he'd escape if I let go. I ran my fingers through his curly hair soothingly as I watched him peacefully sleep. Brie went to get us some water and snacks from the cafeteria. My eyes shifted to the door, meeting Ace's as he stood there now dressed in grey sweatpants and a white long sleeved shirt that his bodyguard probably brought for him to change into.

He walked towards us and I stood up. He opened his arms to embrace me and I happily curled my hands around his waist. I closed my eyes as I rested my head against his hard chest, sniffing his musky, fresh scent.

"I'm so glad you're okay." I said, letting out a sigh of relief.

He kissed my forehead, tightening his grasp on my shoulders.

"Did you get hurt? Any burns? "

"Thankfully, I didn't." He replied.

I looked at him in shock. "Are you superman or something?" I said and we both erupted in laughter.

We pulled away after a few minutes, our attention returning to Mason who was still sleeping soundly. "Thank you for saving him. I don't know what I would've done if something had happened to him."

He nodded with a single-sided smile. "Thank god, I came in time. Brie said Mason's room was blocked by a lot of wood when the firefighters tried to evacuate everyone from the building and none of the firefighters reacted with urgency when she told them he couldnt come out from his room. They just dragged her out of the apartment."

I wiped the tears streaming down my cheeks. "Yeah, she told me. We could have lost him but thank god he's still here and you are too."

"I'll always be here for you guys." He said, making my stomach flutter.

"I just want to forget this day ever happened." I sniffled, with a bitter chuckle.

It was silent between us for a few minutes, just enjoying being in each others presence and being grateful to still have one another. I looked at Ace and caught staring at me with intent.

"What?" I asked him, feeling uncomfortable.

"Move in with me." He said.