King Babrubahan On Throne

"Hmm. How do you feel now?"

Chitra asked to her son Babru who was now sleeping on her lap. She used to tease her son in this way and play with his locks.

 She used to tease her son in this way and play with his locks

"Mom, let me sleep." He insisted that and tugged his face on her lap. He too liked this mother-son time very much.

"Prince. Prince. Wake up. This is your coronation day. You have to wake up soon."

Shomashukla ran to the room just to  awake Babru. He turned left and slept peacefully.

"Babru, utho putro (wake up, son). She is right. You proved yourself. This is your day to outshine." Chitra told it to him.

But he snorted aloud and twisted his face. He pouted his lips too. He was not in the mood of spoiling quality time with his mother. He loved his mother most of all.

"I am not going to anywhere. I dont need any throne. I need my mothers lap. That's all." He said that to them both and tried to sleep tight.

Chitra pulled his earlobe and twisted it with her right hand.

"Mother, uffh. Leave my ears. Please."
He insisted but his mother was not listening to him.

"Get up. Get up. This is your big day. The coronation day. It is significant for any prince. Any prince wants to be king. And today you will be king." She told him excitedly.

He lifted his sleepy eyes on her face. He seldom saw his mother such happy and such excited in his entire life. He felt happy for her but sorry too. Her mother was a deserving princess. She could be worthy queen of this state. His heart ached for her. But he tried to control it. A prince was not allowed to show his emotions.

"Mother, let me sleep for some more time. Please." He begged her in vain.

Both his mother and his lover were against him. They dragged him from the bed and shoved him into the big shower room. He pouted his lips when taking bath in the aromatic scents.

He came back and dried his body with wet towel. He dried his curly wavy hair thinking whether his father too had the same flowery hair like him. He put on Anga bastra and Uttariya. Then he put on his weapons, arms-bows and sword which he considered as the part of his body. He then put on his Prince's Crown. He became ready at once and then came out of his own shower room.

     Babrubahan & Shomashukla

He sat down on the seat and combed his wavy black hair when suddenly someone put her soft arms against his neck. He dragged her by her stretched arms and she fell down on his lap. It was none other than Shomashukla. His lover.

"What are you doing now??!! I can punish you." By saying this he caught hold of her and kissed her lips.

She smacked his chest and ran away. He ran after her playfully and shouted aloud -

"Then you can not become my future queen. I don't like violent women. I like submissive girls."

But he stopped on his track by seeing his mother standing in front of him with questiona in her eyes.

"You don't like violent women?!! Huh??!!" She pulled his earlobe again.

He smiled aloud. He knew his mother would be on his side.
....

The hall was errupting with loudest cheerings and clappings. Flowers and their petals were thrown on the red carpet. Sages were chanting Mantras and stuti of the deities. Overall the occasion was very happy for all. The people of Manipur was happy too.

King Chitra Vahan and his family too looked happy. Except only one man.

King Chitra Vahan came down from his throne and put his helmet on his grandson's head by declaring aloud -

"I have ruled over Manipur for long. Now I declare you my heir and the king of Manipur."

Babrubahan knealt down in front of his grandfather and took the helmet by responding this -

"I take the responsibility. With my whole heart."

The hall room errupted in cheers once more. But he signalled them to stop at once. The room became silent in an instant.

He bowed to all men gathered there and then by removing the helmet of the King from his head, he put that at his grandfather's feet.

King Chitra Vahan gullped in shock as well as all gathered people.

Babrubahan stood up and declared aloud -

"I am neither refuting the throne nor my duty as a king. But I think before being a king I have to be debt-free. But I already had an unfulfilled debt to my mentor. (He indicated his own mother Chitra) I want to fulfil my debt first and prove my compstibility as a King of this state. Then I will take back my Crown from you."

He knelt more in front of his grand father who looked very proud by his decision

He knelt more in front of his grand father who looked very proud by his decision. He hugged him tightly in his broad chest while saying -

"Dhanyo. Dhanyo. (Bravo. Bravo). I like your guts, Putro (son). I pray for your success from now onwards."

He lifted his eyes to his mother. Her silent eyes got back their lives. They were proud for her son. They were not vacant anymore.

************************************