Flashback: Ganga's Curse

"I will avenge my son Debabrata's murder by Arjuna."

Ganga was wanting her revenge from Arjuna. The killing of Arjuna was not an easy task. It needed many person's united efforts. Arjuna was the greatest warrior of India. He had a boon not to let his bow Gandiv fell down of his hands. His tunir or bowbag was to be full of arrows. It was called as Akshay Tunir. A warrior whose arms never fell down or left over from his hands could not be killed easily. Babrubahan also could never do that impossible to be possible if he did not have Mother Ganga's curse with him.

In the Kurukshetra war, Pitamah Bhisma was the grandfather of the Kuru clan. He was brutally murdered by Arjuna by the help of Shikhandi, his brother-in-law. Ganga was his mother and the first wife of Shantanu, Bhisma's father. He later remarried Sayavati from whom he had fathered two more sons, Chitranagad and also Bichitravirya. Chitrangad died at the young age but Bichitravirya married two sisters Ambika and Ambalika, mother of Dhritarastra and Pandu. Grandfather Bhism never married and served his brother's sons and grandsons. Arjuna was Pandu's first wife, Kuntis son. Yuddhisthir and Bheem were his siblings. While his young brothers, Nakula and Sahadev, were his stepbrothers and from his father Pandu's second wife, Madri. By the way, after the untimely death of Pandu Madri went 'Sati' on his pyres and Kunti took care of this five young Pandav brothers. This was in short the story of the Pandav clan.

"Mother, don't blame him. I need to die at that war of justice between injustice."

                 Pitamah Bhism

                 Pitamah Bhism

Grandfather Bhisma told her many times but a mother's heart was not at all listening to him. It wanted avenge her son's death.

Arjuna's arrogance was also reason of his death too. He thought like his other relatives mother Ganga would also forget him. But she did not. He before coming to Manipur wanted to touch the holy water of mother Ganga hence he went to her. She was not at all listening to him.

Arjuna went to her river side to touch her feet. But her other seven sons, unborn brother's of grandfather Bhisma, stopped him in his track.

"Stop Arjuna. Mother does not want you to touch her." They screamed in anger.

"Why not I touch my mother's feet? A mother is indeed mother to all. I want to touch her feet. I need her blessings for me." Arjuna politely asked them not to stop him.

But they were adamant. They were not letting him to touch their mother Ganga. They also were in rage with him for killing their brother. They too wanted to avenge the murder of their younger brother Bhism.

They emerged their swords. But their opponent was more sharp than them. Arjuna used a "pash" (magical rope) to bind their hands. Their swords fell down and they stood lowering their heads before him. They felt ashamed for themselves. They were 'Sapta Vasu' (seven demi-gods) and they now were winned by a mere human like Arjuna. Where to leave this insult??!!

They stood dead at their track. They felt dejected and defeated. They now wanted to be buried deep into the soil.
"Mother Ganga!! Whom to show their face??!!" Their brains were shouting aloud.

                     Mata Ganga

                     Mata Ganga

When Ganga emerged from heaven, she saw her seven sons stood dejected and defeated by lowering her head. Her brain was infuriated in deep rage. Who did it to them??!!

She shouted in anger "Who did it to you?!! Give me the answer."

"Arjuna" The first son of her answered by lowering his head.

"Mother, we stopped him to touch your water. But he did not accept. He bonded our hands and then forcefully touched it. We can't stop him." Her second son replied her now.

"How dare he touch my water?!! How dare he insulted me after killing my son Debabrata Bhisma?!!" She then shouted in fury.

Then she knelt to her own water level and touched it with his own hands by screaming this "I curse you Arjuna to be killed by our own offspring. Your imprudence should be punished."

This was Ganga's curse to her own great-grandson Arjuna which had later brought his untimely death in the hands of his own son, Chitrangada son Babrubahan.

************************************