twenty

My brother couldn't pick me up. He was at work. What should I do? I'm going to be discharged soon..

I kept asking myself that. It was already seven thirty-four in the morning and I had to leave by eight.

Just then, as if the universe heard my thoughts, my phone lit up when I got a notification. I quickly picked it up, squinting my eyes to read the message.

[Minho:] Be ready in 10, Ill come and pick you up :)

What? Minho?? Picking me up??? In ten minutes????

But why? Why does this life want us to always be together? How do I keep bumping into him?

He was my friend, a close one I'd say, of course! But why did he, out of all people, have to pick me up today?

The nurse came in earlier, she said someone will help me carry my things— a bag, not so heavy, I could carry it alone— and some documents my brother left. I declined the offer, positive that I could make it on my own.

'Your cuts might open if you force yourself too much' she said as if that wasn't the whole point.

I was announced Minho arrived, so I went to talk to the lady at the reception. She said I was discharged and that I could go home.

They recommended me to stay inside and to not move around a lot. They also gave me some medicine.

Antidepressants.

I left the hospital and headed to the familiar vehicle parked somewhere in front of the building.

Minho left his car and walked over to me. He grabbed my bag while nicely greeting me and then he opened the passenger door.

"How are you feeling?" he spoke as he started the car.

"Better, I guess. Thank you."

I turned my phone on and saw that it was already 8:04.

School had already started. I was glad I could take a few days off, I could just say I'm sick.

Wait.

"Why aren't you in school?"

Minho didn't take his eyes off the road. "Your brother called me last night, right when I got home. He said you didn't have a ride for tomorrow, so I suggested that I could give you one." the brown-haired shrugged it off like it wasn't that big of a deal.

There was a comforting silence that occupied the car, none of us spoke. I was flabbergasted. Did he really skip school for me?

"You didn't have to. You shouldn't ditch school just like that, Minho." I finally replied in a scolding tone.

"You are more important than school, Sung."

Was he honest? I couldn't tell. His tone was serious, that was right, but why me? What did I do to deserve this kindness? It had to be an act.

"Do you mean it?"

His facial expression changed for a second. A compassionate smile made its way onto his charming face, brightening the mood.

"I mean everything I say."

His grin was contagious, it made me lean back into the car seat and giggle. I was really happy.

Maybe I didn't believe in soulmates before but he changed my perspective. I felt like we were meant to meet. Meant to become friends. 'It would be nice to meet my other half' was something I always thought.

Indeed, it is nice.

I had no idea how long the ride home was going to be. I wasn't conscious when I was brought here.

"Your brother said he wouldn't be able to come tonight. He's out of town." said Minho, breaking the silence.

"Oh."

Unsure of what to say, I felt like I was out of words. I really needed some time alone, I wanted to be away from my brother. I couldn't face him after selfishly trying to take my own life, giving him one more thing to suffer about, again and again.

He didn't know about my attempts before, but for the past weeks, he kept catching me right in the act, or after.

However, at the same time, I didn't want to stay alone. I was afraid.

Afraid I would lose myself again. Afraid my intrusive thoughts would win. Afraid everyone would forget about me. Afraid I would relapse.

I was doing so well. What happened? What's wrong with me? I kept looking for an answer even though I was sure there was none.

That was the script, after all.

Sighing, I looked down at my bandaged wrists. I was still unsure of how I survived. I couldn't recall passing out or anything. Hell, I didn't even remember what happened or how I ended up doing it.

I was lost and wanted to be found. That's all I ever wanted— help.

"Would you mind if I accompanied you today?" the driver, once again, broke the silence.

My head turned to face him. I didn't know if I should just agree, I was hesitant. I needed time for myself, maybe a warm bath while I blasted music, hoping it would cover up my thoughts. Of course, that never worked.

"I would like that."

Maybe he was the person who could save me. The person who could heal me, my one and only reason to stay alive. Was it too soon to consider him that?

Spending the day with Minho didn't sound too bad.
We could be watching another fun movie, cook together, get to know each other more, that sounded fun.

I wanted to experience that with someone. I wanted a friend. I was in deep need of one.

We found each other at the perfect moment.