forty one

I slammed the door, locking it. I didn't feel safe around her. If the word 'evil' was a person, it would surely be her.

She spawned right from hell.

"Jisungie! How are you?" she said as she entered my house just like it was her possession.

"Could be better."

"Aren't you going to hug your auntie? Don't you miss me, Sungie?"

She had no right to use that nickname. Can't she shut up?

"Stop calling me that, it's making me uncomfortable."

She rolled her eyes and put her purse on the table in the kitchen, mumbling something I shouldn't have heard. "But it was okay when your mother called you that."

I wanted to smash her head with rocks to teach her a good lesson.

The middle-aged woman looked different. Her hair was now a dark red colour which reminded me of blood. Maybe because she was cold-hearted. Her eyes were blue now, probably because of the lentils she always liked to wear. She was really skinny and tall.

And ugly.

Her husband walked in. It wasn't the same one she had when we last saw each other— I guessed they divorced.

I sighed, trying my best to remain calm and not break down. His funeral being in about an hour didn't help either.

Why do I have to go through this again?

I couldn't find the right course to follow so I decided to call Minho. I really needed him, I wanted him to be here with me.

Only today.

He said he could come in half an hour. I got up from my bed and entered the bathroom, looking in the mirror. I looked horrific, there was absolutely no way this was me.

Surely, there were lots of moments when I was absolutely wretched before— but the last time I saw myself like this was after my parent's death.

Which was a long time ago.

My eyebags were more visible than ever since I haven't gotten proper sleep in days, my hair was so messy and the blue was barely noticeable now. I noticed the way my eyes were so red and my cheeks were puffy.

I put some foundation on as insecurity got ahold of me and got dressed in the black suit my aunt had bought. It was ugly. Everything related to her was unappealing.

Then I petted Bbama in need of strength.

My phone rang and I rushed downstairs, opening the door for Minho. I was met by two arms wrapped around my body. I hugged him back but quickly let go when I heard my aunt come in the hallway.

"Who is he?"

"Hello! I'm Jisung's best friend, nice to meet you." Minho politely bowed, introducing himself. She rolled her eyes (she always did that, it was a habit of hers) and presented herself as well, somewhat nicely.

We stood in the living room since we had to leave in fifteen minutes. I told Minho about it already— he said he'll lend his shoulder for me to cry on.

He squeezed my hand in a comforting way, reassuring me that everything will be fine and I wasn't alone.

How could I feel lonely when he was right by my side?

"We should leave now. Jisung, I'll drive you both there." My aunt said in a demanding tone, chewing some gum.

She finally realized her breath stinks.