23: A Really Awful Car Accident

The following day the band had an interview about the new record and we were already running late

The following day the band had an interview about the new record and we were already running late. I had to almost physically drag Eddie out of his bed and in to the car. As I drove he was slumped over in the passenger seat. I started to go over the talking points for the interview with him like I always did before any big sit down interview. I had already spoken to Gareth and Jeff, all that was left was Eddie. I got one sentence in before he snapped.

"Christ Olivia do you really have to also control every thing I say?" I was so stunned I almost swerved my car off the road. That's when I smelled it.

"Eddie are you still drunk?!" I shouted at him doing my best to keep my eyes on the road.

"Maybe." He smirked.

"Okay this is ridiculous I am turning around." I shook my head and started looking for a safe place to whip this car back to Eddie's apartment.

"Like hell you are. I'm fine. I'll be fine." Eddie growled.

"No Eddie I'm not letting you make yourself look like an idiot." I argued.

"I'm the boss Olivia, regardless of what you might think, and I said we're going." Eddie said sternly.

"Well my job is to manage you and that's exactly what I'm doing." I said without looking at him.

"Maybe we need a new manager then." Eddie said under his breath. I pretended I didn't hear him, but I did. I squeezed the steering wheel so tightly my fingertips were tingling. We got to the building the label offices are in I parked. Eddie leapt out of the car and didn't even wait for me. I made no effort to catch up to him.

The interview began and thankfully, Eddie didn't chime in an overwhelming amount. They were asked about the lyrics to song and how they came up with them and before Jeff and Gareth could say anything Eddie looked me dead in the eye and answered.

"The band and I have really worked hard on writing these songs together. I don't know what I'd do without these guys. Without them this band would be nothing."

I wanted to crawl out of my skin. On its face, it seemed like a heartwarming statement. But considering the pseudonym I used to credit myself for writing most of the lyrics for this album was only mentioned once in the album lining and has yet to ever come across Eddie's lips, it was pretty much a declaration of war. When Eddie held my gaze the entire time he spoke I knew he had every intention of pissing me off, and it worked.

Have you ever seen a really awful car accident happen? No? Okay. Let me explain. There's this moment when the cars are crashing together where everything seems like it's finally over and at it's worst, but then it just keeps going. The damage doesn't stop. It just compounds into itself. After those words left Eddie's mouth, that's what the next 12-hours felt like.

The interviewer started asking about the bands personal lives and if they had girlfriends or whatever. I knew Eddie couldn't say anything about me specifically, but what he said was another act of relationship terrorism. When asked Eddie just looked at me and said, "I don't ever really see myself settling down. I haven't met anyone worth settling down with."