27: Reap What You Sow

"Did I paint your bluest skies the darkest grey?
A universe away
And when I got into the accident
The sight that flashed before me was your face
But when I walked up to the podium, I think that I forgot to say your name

I'm on a bench in Coney Island
Wondering "Where did my baby go?"
The fast times, the bright lights, the merry go
Sorry for not making you my centerfold..."

~ coney island (feat. The National), Taylor Swift

*****

August 1994

"Eddie if you don't get out of this bed so help me I will light it on fire

"Eddie if you don't get out of this bed so help me I will light it on fire." I heard Dustin's unmistakeable voice booming at me from the side of bed. I didn't answer. I just groaned and rolled over. It's too early for this shit.

"I don't get how you're so tired. You've been in this bed for the last six months." Dustin snarked.

"Can it Henderson. Go away." I grumbled.

"If I rip these blankets off you are you going to be naked?" Dustin asked. What the fuck?

"No...?" I answered with a great deal of apprehension. The next thing I know Dustin ripped the sheets off the bed exposing my sweatpants and t-shirt clad body. He jumped on the bed and crawled up to my shoulders and started dragging me off the bed, that was really just a mattress on the ground at this point.

"Jesus Christ!" I shouted as Dustin tore me off the bed. For a tiny guy he's pretty strong. By the time Dustin was done with me I was flat on my ass on the ground.

"Get moving. We're meeting the guys in an hour." He ordered.

"Dude I'm hungover as shit. Just go away." I rubbed my hands over my exhausted face. Shockingly enough it was quite tiring being drunk for half a year.

"I don't care! I'm tired of your pity parties and self indulgent sulking! Move move move!" Dustin shouted, making my head throb. He had a point though. Every since she left all I'd done was an endless cycle of drink, cry, fall asleep. I stopped driving after the accident.

Oh right. That.

Not much to say about it since I hardly remember it. All I remember was headlights coming at me and yanking the wheel to the side. I saw her face smiling at me and then everything went black. When I woke up in the hospital I thought I'd died, but apparently I flipped the grim reaper the bird and went on my merry way. It sounds cooler than it actually was. I was drunk when it happened. I think I got arrested at some point. The label put one of their lawyers on it and nothing ever came of it. Perks of being a rockstar, right? More like perks of being a giant fucking hypocrite.