31: The Worst Kind Of Betrayal

The moment the four of us walked in to my apartment I set Basil down in my kitchen area and stood and stared at him with my hands on my hips

"What can I get you little guy. Some water?" A steak dinner? A salmon filet? A pound of cat nip? Some caviar?

"He probably needs some water." Olivia said over her shoulder from the living room, seemingly reading my mind. I looked back down at the cat who just stared blankly at me, probably having no idea what he'd done for me today. I owed him my life. 

I found a bowl I usually used for cereal and filled it with water for my new lord and savior and made sure it was to his liking before joining my friends and Olivia in my living room. Oh shit maybe Liv needs something to drink too.

"You guys want something to drink?" I asked quickly, awkwardly scratching the back of my head.

"Beer." Robin and Steve said together. Easy.

"You?" I asked, pointing at Olivia.

"Red wine for me." Olivia said politely. I made my way into the kitchen and silently screamed in joy that my depressed pining self once bought a bottle of her favorite wine and stored it away in a, at the time, seemingly delusional belief she might once again be in my apartment asking for red wine.

"Uh, pinot noir, right?" I asked while I started digging around at the minibar that wasn't exactly all that mini anymore. I did my best to make it seem coincidental that I happened to have her favorite wine, and so far it appeared to be working.

"Yeah. That's right." She said with a thin veil of astonishment. I could have fainted. Way to work love sick me.

"You don't even drink red wine." Olivia pulled an eyebrow up suspiciously as I handed her the glass. Oh yeah. I'd also bought wine glasses. Go me.

"I do from time to time." Doing my best to sound regal and refined. I don't drink it. I would if she wanted me to I would though. I'd drink my own blood if she'd asked me to.

It wasn't much later when Dustin arrived. We spent the night playing Robin's bizarre rendition of monopoly. She'd turned it into a pseudo drinking game with a new money system that made absolutely zero sense. But we all went along with it. The best we could, that is. Basil was busy having the time of his life attacking and swatting at all the pieces and dice.

Olivia and I hardly talked directly to each other during it, which was probably for the best. It was incredible to hear her laugh again and see her smile. I took mental pictures of her the entire time. She was so close but still so far away. There were moments where her ocean blue eyes met mine and every time there was this flash of emotions. It was like she'd forgotten that for a second she hated me, and then would remember and pull her eyes away from mine. It stung every time. But I deserved it.

After three or so hours Dustin was tanked and so was Robin, so Steve volunteered to get them back to their apartment for the night. Before Olivia or I could say anything, it was just the two of us and a very sleepy Basil. I'd drank a bit, but not a ton. I'd been doing my best to cut back. Olivia had about a half a bottle of wine, so I'm sure she was buzzing, but she wasn't drunk, so I was sure she'd get home just fine.