37: Oh Boy, Here It Comes

The following day my friends and I found ourselves perched at a table at a rooftop bar

The following day my friends and I found ourselves perched at a table at a rooftop bar. The sun was bright, the autumn air was particularly warm, by all accounts, it was a beautiful day outside. For now.

"Do you think they can see us?" Robin whispered as we sat outside with a wide variety of hats and sunglasses on.

"Dustin's hat and hair are dead giveaways, so I don't know why we felt compelled to otherwise dress up." Steve pouted from behind one of Robin's massive pairs of chunky sunglasses.

"I'm not upset. I never get to wear this hat." Nancy smiled and flicked the brim of her oversized floppy straw hat.

My eyes drifted to the other side of rooftop bar where Eddie and Medusa had just taken a seat. Eddie's shoulders visibly tensed every time she put her hand on his arm or touched him in any way. I'd be a liar if I said that didn't delight me to my core.

"Can you hear what they're saying?" Dustin whispered, swiveling his head around like a bird trying to get a better look at Eddie.

"No, but she looks pissed already." Jonathan tried to hide his laugh behind his palm. We all shifted our focus to the silent movie that had become Eddie telling Natalie that whatever relationship they were perpetuating was over.

"Shit, here we go," Nancy said with a wince as Eddie's facial expression twisted into one of vast uncomfortableness mixed with dread. In seconds Natalie went from moderately irritated to positively irate.

"For being a fake girlfriend she seems a little bent out of shape," Steve's voice carried flat across our group.

"Doesn't look like it was all that fake to Medusa," Robin grimaced, baring her teeth and leaning back away from the table and into her chair. Eddie ran a hand through his dark curls while Natalie seemed to be unleashing some kind of dejected fury on him from across their tiny little table.

"Oh shit she's reaching for the glass!" Dustin whisper screeched, smacking Steve in the leg.

"Oh please throw it on him. Please," Nancy pleaded with the universe.

"Whose side are you even on?" Jonathan asked raising a skeptical eyebrow. Conversations ebbed and flowed around us while we all stayed focused on Eddie.

"Eddie fucked up." I crossed my arms across my chest and smirked triumphantly. I knew his "oh shit time to back peddle face" anywhere. I should have felt worse for him but honestly, watching it from a third party's perspective just sent me into a laugh that knocked me back into my chair.

 I should have felt worse for him but honestly, watching it from a third party's perspective just sent me into a laugh that knocked me back into my chair